• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wilding out a nestling (1 Viewer)

seafolly

A couple of you might remember my tale this time last year when I found a baby sparrow in my cat's mouth. It was my second bird, the first I had to care for for two weeks until I finally found a rehabber a few hours away that had a free spot. With the second bird, I never found a rehabber, and was advised over the phone of how to proceed and wild her out myself. To my knowledge, all went as planned.

Over a week ago I was called up by a friend's coach at a barn. A baby bird had fallen from the rafters in the arena as miraculously did not get stepped on throughout the lesson before someone noticed it. Apparently there was a great argument about whether the bird should be put in a stall with hopes it would be stepped on or whether they should give it to me. Fortunately they ended up calling me. Familiar with the drill, I've raised her as I did the other two. I wasn't convinced she would survive, particularly given the manure lodged in her eye but I did manage to kill the infection.

And here lies my dilemma. It appears this "swallow or chickadee" is quite clearly a sparrow and she's almost fully feathered. At least enough to show interest in flapping her wings around. I recall last year's couldn't be free fast enough! This one is quite content to hide in her nest trusting me only enough to receive food despite how completely young and bald she was when I received her. She really is terrified of me. I was aiming for a healthy fear like I did with the others by making minimal contact but I worry there's such thing as too fearful.

I contacted the rehabilitator who took in my first bird to wild him out (he was fully feathered by the time she got him) and she advised me to just make sure she's feeding on her own before releasing her which is what I planned on doing. She seems completely confident I can handle it which I appreciate but it's difficult not to feel terrified when you know the bird's only chance is with you. As you can imagine, once again, everyone's "full" here and will only euthanize.

Is it possible she's just slower...? You'd think birds would work on the same schedule to keep up with their siblings. I'm just surprised she has no interest in flying yet. I've taken her outside several times and all she does is bury herself in the grass. This is opposed to my younger sparrow last year who took off for the nearest tree with the first taste of freedom. Does this seem off to anyone else?

I'm not sure if anyone's interested but I thought I'd post that she flew for the first time today so I'm pretty happy about that. She's also decided that if I bring a spoon to her beak she'll eat from it (rather than me having to guide food to the crop). Lookin' good!

Update: She flies well and is now eating from a bowl. Once she starts eating seeds and such it'll be time for her to go! It's amazing that she was just a little pink dinosaur type thing only 13 days ago. How the heck did she become a real bird? :p

Filmed yesterday: http://www.flickr.com/photos/princessinboots/4690346319/

(nope, she is not allowed to fly around the house - there was a mishap with her cage and there was a prison break)

Well done seafolly.

I do hope the release goes well.

D

Seafolly try to give her at first sprouted seeds. When you see on the seed just a small white point of the sprout, that is the best age of he food. It´s much more easy to eat (open) for the bird, has more energy, and is easier to digest as the dry seed. Just puit the dry seeds on a clean dish, mousten it with a aerosol can that the seeds are wet. Cover it with another dish just that there is a small opening for air. After 12 hours moisten it again, cover it and in the evening you should have ready food for your bird. If I don´t need the whole amoung I store it in the fridge for the next day that it will not grow more.
That´s the way I make sprouted seeds for my birds and they are doing very well.

Thank you for the support. :)

stonechat1, thank you for that suggestion, I've never heard of that one before but it makes a lot of sense. Would seed from the feeder suffice or should I be looking for something specific? I'll get on that asap.

Random note: Her chirps have become more varied today. I'm hearing chuckling sounds from her which I have to say, is really cool. ;)

Thank you for the support. :)

stonechat1, thank you for that suggestion, I've never heard of that one before but it makes a lot of sense. Would seed from the feeder suffice or should I be looking for something specific? I'll get on that asap.
[...]

Don´t mention it, it´s a pleasure when I can help.
To your question: I prefer special bird food for sprouting, that´s not so long on stock (stored) as the normal dry food in 50 pound bags. I don´t know the american market but look for something like this:
http://www.wheatgrasskits.com/sprouting/organic_bird_sprouting_seed.htm
http://www.versele-laga.com/Nutri/N...=3&mkt=11963&fam=138&ani=-1&ran=6881&pro=5141
It must not be organic!
Our sparrows aren´t shaky what belongs to their food.
Also you can try this experiment with your normal food to see how good is the germination:
http://www.scienceprojectlab.com/germination-experiment-example.html
Also you can offer him butterhead lettuce. Without dressing :king:

Excellent!

I only have sunflower seeds on hand right now and she did a wonderful job of picking out every bit of mash and leaving every seed intact, haha. Time to try something new! She's going to be released awfully soon though - unlike my previous birds she's wearing down the feathers above her beak against the cage bars trying to get out to the point where the skin is exposed. I find this odd as the previous birds were slightly older when I started caring for them. I think I did too good a job at keeping her wild. : /

Well it seems the seeds get mouldy awfully fast so I'm not quite sure what to do about that one. My primary concern is flight, though. I saw a sparrow family at a feeder outside by window and rushed her out there to release. Well, she took a nosedive into the garden instead which happens to be Cat Highway so I had to bring her back in. It seems she's not gaining much elevation...say higher than two or three feet. I've never seen this before but since she seems physically just fine I'm going to assume she just needs more time. In the meantime I have her cage by the window that overlooks all our sparrows that feed at the feeder below. Hoping she'll pick up some tips!

She was released yesterday. :) She flew up into our Japanese Maple and given the number of sparrows in the tree already I took it as a good sign. I miss her, but I'm happy she's free.

Thanks Delia. :) It was an honour to watch her grow from a pink, blind creature to a fully feathered bird that can take on the skies. Just cross your fingers no one gives me another as I'm flying out of the country soon. |:D|

Sparrow on June 11th

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back