• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White spots on the throat of a Swallow? (1 Viewer)

christineredgate

Winner of the Copeland Wildlife Photographer of th
Took several shots of this bird today,one of a pr nesting in a neighbours shed,not the usual locals,a new pr,recently arrived about 1 week ago.Noticed the white markings on the throat.Would they be mites/lice/ticks?.First time I have seen this on a Swallows plumage..Often seen on Housemartins ,actual mites attached to the outside of the plumage.but not on a Swallow.
Thankyou,
Christine.

Attachments

• 24th-June-092a.jpg
    24th-June-092a.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 167
Does no one have any ideas,or has anyone never seen this before on a swallows plumage?.I certainly have not,and I do take many,many Swallow shots.

Thanks all.I hav eseen this Swallow again,and taken shots,and the white spots are still visible.As I have said prev,the 1st time I have seen this on the plumage of a Swallow.

Thanks rosbif.He /she is still around,they are nesting in a neighbours shed 2 doors down,so are often perched in our yard,and these white spots are still there.Just wonder who else might know.RSPB,BTO,anyone any ideas,has anyone else ever seen a Swallow with this odd plumage/.

Christine

Not to the same extent as yours but here's one I pictured nest building a couple of weeks ago... perhaps one white dot visible.

Attachments

• Swallow2_resize.jpg
    Swallow2_resize.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 69
  • Swallow_resize.jpg
    Swallow_resize.jpg
    278.8 KB · Views: 72
The pale colouration is usually the base of a feather, showing like this thanks to others being missing. I ring at a site where we process c. 5,000 swallows an autumn, and we see quite a few like this. I'm afraid I've only access to one poor photo at the moment which shows one clear 'white patch', plus quite a bit of white on out of place feathers around a very strange injury; the bird had pierced the soft underside of its bill on reedbed vegetation, which had clearly been in place some time form how dried out it was (before anyone asks, the vegetation was removed and the wound treated with antiseptic wipe before release).

Last edited:
Thanks Sy and Kev.Yes,Kev,your explanation does make sense.The bird in question is a male,and my neighbour has fixed a camera near the nest in his shed,so ,hopefully when the eggs are hatched I will be able to see the chicks.
Many thanks to all who replied to my query.

I was watching a programme on Arte (French/German Channel) on the wildlife in the Chernobyl exclusion zone - they mentioned there being a very high proportion of the swallows breeding there that had white spots on the throat (and other things such as diffferent length wings and tail streamers), they also had a very low reproduction rate.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back