• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (30 Viewers)

Titchwell March 18th

Today’s highlights

Lapland bunting – 8 on brackish marsh from Parrinder hide this afternoon but very elusive
Hen harrier – ringtail over reedbed at dawn
Common buzzard – 11 west this afternoon
Velvet scoter – 3 offshore
Chiffchaff – 3 on Meadow Trail
Water pipit – 1 on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank – 1 on saltmarsh
Treecreeper – 2 around visitor centre

Paul

On the Cards again at Wells

About the only thing of note was the re-appearance of the Carduelids, firstly above the Drinking Pool, then, along the main track nearby. The perishing little blighters (flock of about 10 Redpolls) would either perch in the sun or with intervening twigs or branches.

Salthouse beach car park had, it seems, 4 new Snow Buntings- they were much more flighty than hitherto.

Gramboro’ witnessed the fly-away Short-eared Owl, harassed out to sea by a Rook.

Attachments

• 053psesm.jpg
    053psesm.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 108
  • 076sm.jpg
    076sm.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 98
  • 071sm.jpg
    071sm.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 114
shirley a male rustic bunting is quite distinctive ? You can understand little bunting being confused with reed bunting but Rustic ?

has anyone heard anymore about the rumours of the 3 GB's in the brecks or the TO calling in NE norfolk in the last week ?

I got back to the office this afternoon to find that a Rough Legged Buzzard had been seen over Strumpshaw all day... gripped at a good patch tick while being on site all day, to make it worse there was also a Great White Egret reported at Buckenham today. Both unconfirmed as all I know is that they were on the notice board at the end of the day.
Anyone see either?

PS if there are Goshawk sightings from strumpshaw, dont get too excited as there is a large female Sparrowhawk there to catch some people out. A very nice, large bird, but not a Gos

I enjoyed my first views of the Lapland Buntings at Weybourne today. Now nearing Spring plumage they looked some of the best I have seen in Norfolk. Two Purple Sandpipers were at Sheringham sat on the rocks near the end of the main shopping street and a Wheatear graced one the carpark fenceposts at Salthouse.
Sue

Hi , i'm heading to Norfolk this sunday and would like to get views of Lapland Bunting,when we're over your way we usually go to the Titchwell,Holkham area but would be prepared to travel for a better chance of catching up with them,so any directions,postcodes would be appreciated,also interested in the Rustic Bunting and Shorelark,any help,tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thankyou Michael.

Hi , i'm heading to Norfolk this sunday and would like to get views of Lapland Bunting,when we're over your way we usually go to the Titchwell,Holkham area but would be prepared to travel for a better chance of catching up with them,so any directions,postcodes would be appreciated,also interested in the Rustic Bunting and Shorelark,any help,tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thankyou Michael.

Lapland Buntings at Titchwell today and Weybourne is a good spot for them too. Best bet for Shorelark is at the end of the East Bank at Cley where they have been regularly for the past few weeks and still there today. I think most of us would be interested in the Rustic Bunting!!! Enjoy your day.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Q: what comes between a fly and a c fly ?

The male Stonechat continues at Gramboro’. Walking back to the car park, I saw a mad, lovely puppy flush the 9 Shorelarks from the shingle- where they’d apparently flown, after being flushed by joggers from Cley !

Walsey Hills had 2 Commas (one very ragged), a singing Chiffchaff in the willows at the southern end and 2 more calling on top, singing Cetti’s, 2 cute Lizards, a hatch of Tawny Mining bees, a Red-tailed Bee, a Bee fly, a Penny and a Pete.

Attachments

• 006sm.jpg
    006sm.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 62
  • 024sm.jpg
    024sm.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 70
  • 093psesm.jpg
    093psesm.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 88
  • 083psesm.jpg
    083psesm.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 89
Coloured ringed Stonechat (red and a white ring) at Kelliing Water Meadows late afternoon.

See blog for full update and pictures later of lizards, supermoon etc!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Rustic Bunting photos

I saw photos of this bird yesterday though, unfortunately, not the bird itself, at the Cley NWT VC. They were taken through a window (obviously the same geographical origins as a rare pigeon, therefore) and are filmy. I understand that access has been explicitly denied and would involve deliberate trespass in any attempt to see where the bird had been.

“shirley” is not a proper name: it is Stuart being ironic with the/his Norfolk accent/dialect and has previously been explained. The use of deadpan humour on this thread is an unfortunate development and has been noted with others’ posts. It should be deprecated- it’s all right: they can’t do you for it !

Peter Clarke’s observations on twitchers and fieldcraft are highly illuminating and worth a read: http://www.lynnnews.co.uk/lifestyle/nature_notes_1_2516489.

As for ‘TO’, I’ve heard Tawny Owls in several locations in the last few weeks.

Thankyou Michael.

Hi Michael

Sorry this is a bit late. Park by the cemetery on the A149 (TG116431) and walk to the coastguard cottages on the cliff edge. Walk East along the cliff top until you get parallel with the big rolled-up strawbales and continue down into the dip and then turn right. Follow the hedgeline back up towards Deadman's wood (A149) until you reach a cut down cover strip and look back towards where you have just come from (you will be still down in the dip). Hopefully the Laplands will be lurking here somewhere for you!

Best wishes
Sue

Not heard anything about that. I did see on forum talk about a surpressed Little Bustard in Brecks last year!

This was a deliberate hoax apparantly.

As I understand it, the Great Bustard rumour refers to a sighting about 10 days ago.... Hopefully not too late if the rumour is true!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back