• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Louth (formerly Dundalk Bay) local patch. (4 Viewers)

Elusive bird, given the coming rainstorm from the south, it has probably moved off...though you never know. Attached a few photos courtesy of Gerry O'Neill.

This morning again a movement of shearwaters off shelling hill - counted at least 22 + the usual array of confusing glimpses far out at sea: a shearwater with white belly and dark underwings, size of a manx; a sabines-like gull-like bird the size of a GBBG...etc

Attachments

• osprey 1.jpg
    osprey 1.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 146
  • osprey 2.JPG
    osprey 2.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 141
  • osprey 3.JPG
    osprey 3.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 167
  • osprey 4.JPG
    osprey 4.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 163
International Biodiversity Day

Monday 22 May 2006 is international biodiversity day - i am planning to go on a sort of evening chorus walk at mulahattin between 9 and 10pm on that day - anyone interested is welcome to join. Last year about this time it was possible to have roding woodcock, long eared owls calling and grasshopper warbler, as well as warblers, jay, raven...of course nothing is guaranteed, not even the weather...(i'll be there anyway even if it is raining).

Let me know if anyone needs directions.

breffni said:
Monday 22 May 2006 is international biodiversity day - i am planning to go on a sort of evening chorus walk at mulahattin between 9 and 10pm on that day - anyone interested is welcome to join. Last year about this time it was possible to have roding woodcock, long eared owls calling and grasshopper warbler, as well as warblers, jay, raven...of course nothing is guaranteed, not even the weather...(i'll be there anyway even if it is raining).

I'd be very interested in coming along for this, but have no idea where mulahattin is. Directions please?

sav said:
I'd be very interested in coming along for this, but have no idea where mulahattin is. Directions please?
Forested area in Cooley mountains above Jenkinstown.
From North: Travel south towards Dundalk until you reach the large Ballymac roundabout (approx) 8km South of the border. Take the first left on the roundabout (signs for Carlingford and Greenore). Continue along this road for 4.5km and you will enter a 60kph speed zone. Having passed a church / soccer pitches on left / garage on right, you take the next left (small filter lane). After 150m follow the road round to the right (do not go straight) and continue to next junction. This is a staggered crossroads. Turn right the immediate left up steep hill. After 1.3km take right turn (only right turn on hill). Proceed through forest for c.300m to reach location.
From South: Travel 4km North of Dundalk to Ballymac roundabout then as above.
From Omeath: Proceed up hill at garage in the village towards Long Womans Grave. Pass through the Long Womans Grave, after which take right over bumps on road. Take first right(2km) then first left(further 1.4km), then location 300m.
From Carlingford/Greenore: Head towards Dundalk on main road. Take first right after the turn for Giles Quay. At t-junction turn left, pass sharp 90 degree bend and proceed uphill for 2.5km to location.

Derek Watters said:
Forested area in Cooley mountains above Jenkinstown.
From North: Travel south towards Dundalk until you reach the large Ballymac roundabout (approx) 8km South of the border. Take the first left on the roundabout (signs for Carlingford and Greenore). Continue along this road for 4.5km and you will enter a 60kph speed zone. Having passed a church / soccer pitches on left / garage on right, you take the next left (small filter lane). After 150m follow the road round to the right (do not go straight) and continue to next junction. This is a staggered crossroads. Turn right the immediate left up steep hill. After 1.3km take right turn (only right turn on hill). Proceed through forest for c.300m to reach location.

Cheers Derek.Very clear. Will do my best to get there on Monday evening.

Brilliant directions Derek - thanks!

Yesterday looking at small waders off shelling hill, i came across one like a sanderling in summer plumage, not that unusual, there have been a few around, then a dunlin loomed up behind it and i realised it was about 2/3's the size. Anyway to cut a long story short (lost the bird and spent 3 hours searching and finding (presumably) the same bird, telephone consultations with various experts etc), i conclude that it was a little stint (and not a red necked stint!) ...(boy have i got to catch up on work!)

Right now there is seaweed piled high on templetown, whitestown beaches and balaggan from the strong southerlies, if we get a bit of sun and this starts to rot the area will be well worth a visit.

Last edited:
You's might all be aware already.......Just noticed yesterday while in the Marshes shopping centre that Easons sell birdwatching magazines. Some great articles in them and well worth a read.

Biodiversity Day outing

Last night turned out to be very cold but thankfully clear, only five of us made it for the walk (I hope nobody got lost!). The evening chorus didn't really get going until about 9:30 and then we only had one blackcap and one willow warbler briefly (great song thrush though). On the way back along the path the promised woodcock showed, grunting along the path at high speed. There ware nine flyovers in all, at least two birds, maybe more. On the way back we had long-eared owlets calling, so they are back breeding this year again. No sign of gropper (gasshopper warbler).

I definately plan to return before they depart - anyone interested, let me know.

Last edited:
breffni said:
Last night turned out to be very cold but thankfully clear, only five of us made it for the walk (I hope nobody got lost!).
I definately plan to return before they depart - anyone interested, let me know.

I was sorry to miss your walk Breffni, but family matters took over so there was no choice there. If you do organise another one, I would hope that I could make it (fingers crossed).

Dundalk Docks

undefined
breffni said:

5 1ST SUM. LITTLE GULLS AND A HEN HARRIER SEEN AT 14 00 DUNDALK DOCKS.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back