• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which is better? Swarovski SLCNew 8x32 or Leica Trinovid 8x32 BN (1 Viewer)

timtagel

Balintore Birder
I ask because these bins are approx the same price. I know the SLCNew's are the most recent model and the Trinovids have been replaced by the Ultravids, but head to head what do you guys know about these two bins? My instinct says go for the Leicas - they may be older but I hear great things about them. The SLCs may be great too, so any hints much appreciated.

I can't speak as to which one is "better", but I do have a couple of observations.

The Swarovski is a 30mm bino, not 32. Minor point, but still. The Neu Swaro 8x30 still has the focus wheel in front instead of the conventional location. Many people comment that it's just a matter of growing accustomed to it, but I've used them and don't care for it.

The Leica 8x32BN or BA is an absolute classic birding bino. I've been looking hard at binos lately and even bought a pair of 7x42 Ultravids that I had to return (*bay, long story) thinking I must be missing something. I'm not. The view through my 8x32 Trinovids leaves nothing to be desired, that I can tell. The only bino I've found that exhibits a more enjoyable view are the 7x42 Ultravids, but it's splitting hairs. The 32s handle better and are considerably more compact to boot.

Trinovids impart a sense of quality and robustness I've never experienced with other binos and in the case of the 32mm versions give up little (size and weight) to their Ultravid brothers. I'm one of those that actually like the feel of the Trinovids better than the Ultravids, in 32mm sizes.

Anyway, that's my 2 bits and I'm sure either one will be a superb field optic.

Good luck, and enjoy them!

Last edited:
Thanks for that and yes, of course the SLC is 30mm. I tend to agree with your comments. I love the Trinovid look and build not to mention the stunning view. I looked through some ultravids and they didn't seem to merit the price tag.

All the best.

I ever owned 8x30 SLCNew and Leica 8x32 BA.

SLCNew wins in terms of brightness, sharpness, no coloar bias.
8X32BA is much more compact but lack of sharpness with yellow bias.

It is not fair to compare these two because they are different decade products.

I sold 8X32BA and kept SLCNew but a couple of months ago I sold SLCNew and bought 8x32 swarovision.

JR

Last edited:
I ask because these bins are approx the same price. I know the SLCNew's are the most recent model and the Trinovids have been replaced by the Ultravids, but head to head what do you guys know about these two bins? My instinct says go for the Leicas - they may be older but I hear great things about them. The SLCs may be great too, so any hints much appreciated.
Get a Swarovision 8x32. Better than both.

So spend $2000+ rather than $750-1000 and you'll get a better view? Brilliant deduction my friend, brilliant deduction.

I'd recommend the 8x32BN as the 7x42BN have produced the best view I've seen through a bino.

If in the $700-1000 price range, I'd recommend taking a look at the Cabela Euro HD 8x32 - newer, good warranty from what I can tell, and absolutely wonderful views, easily comparable with the 'best of the best'.

All the best,
Justin

EDIT: Just noticed this post is several years old. Weird stuff.

Dennis,

I notice that you are responding here in thread #6 today to Timtagel's question in the 1st thread above which is dated 2/27/2008. On 03/04/2008 you told him in thread #4 to get a Leica 8 x 32 Trinovid BN.

Now, almost 5 years later, you are telling him to get a Swarovision 8 x 32.:h?:

Bob

Last edited:
So spend $2000+ rather than $750-1000 and you'll get a better view? Brilliant deduction my friend, brilliant deduction.

I'd recommend the 8x32BN as the 7x42BN have produced the best view I've seen through a bino.

If in the $700-1000 price range, I'd recommend taking a look at the Cabela Euro HD 8x32 - newer, good warranty from what I can tell, and absolutely wonderful views, easily comparable with the 'best of the best'.

All the best,
Justin

EDIT: Just noticed this post is several years old. Weird stuff.

Thanks. It's pretty much true.

I'd recommend the 8x32BN as the 7x42BN have produced the best view I've seen
through a bino.

When was the last time you looked through a current alpha?

Dennis,

I notice that you are responding here in thread #6 today to Timtagel's question in the 1st thread above which is dated 2/27/2008. On 03/04/2008 you told him in thread #4 to get a Leica 8 x 32 Trinovid BN.

Now, almost 5 years later, you are telling him to get a Swarovision 8 x 32.:h?:

Bob
That makes sense doesn't. Five years ago the Leica 8x32 BN was a pretty good binocular. It is now "Long in the Tooth" and there are a lot of newer better binoculars with HD glass and dielectric coatings and various other technological advancements like the Swarovision. The Swarovision 8x32 is light years ahead of the BN and a MUCH better binocular . I try to keep my recommendations current.

Last edited:

Thanks. It's pretty much true.

I'd recommend the 8x32BN as the 7x42BN have produced the best view I've seen
through a bino.

When was the last time you looked through a current alpha?

It's true, but unnecessary; clearly if the OP wanted to purchase new alpha glass, he would've asked about new alpha glass as opposed to second-hand older glass found at a much lower price range. We get it, Dennis, you have a lot of money to spend on binoculars that you'll sell back in a few weeks/months. Some people actually like to keep their binoculars for... gasp... years before selling them away, and so price: performance is an actual consideration!

I looked through some 8.5x42 Swarovski SV when some birders came out to the Refuge this morning to see the view from our new birding blind. I also looked through the 8x32 Conquest HD and SV before deciding upon the McKinley HDs (about 2-3 months ago), and again about 3 weeks ago when our blind first opened and was bustling with activity.

That makes sense doesn't. Five years ago the Leica 8x32 BN was a pretty good binocular. It is now "Long in the Tooth" and there are a lot of newer better binoculars with HD glass and dielectric coatings and various other technological advancements like the Swarovision. The Swarovision 8x32 is light years ahead of the BN and a MUCH better binocular . I try to keep my recommendations current.

It's been 5 years! Ya should have PM'd him!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back