• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Add to woodpecker list (1 Viewer)

RockyRacoon

Until recently I had only seen One Great-spotted woodpecker and one Green Woodpecker here in the U.K. But in eleven days I have seen two Great-spotted woodpeckers and three Green woodpeckers! Maybe I am getting better...

Jake ;)

Last edited:
We have 5 woodpeckers in our area. The first one was a Red-Bellied Woodpecker, which is at our feeder every day. The next was a Pileated Woodpecker, which was only seen once since the year started. The second most common is the Downy Woodpecker, which visits our feeder almost every day. The third most common is the Hairy, which I've seen twice (ID'd by a black stripe through the red patch on the male). The fourth most common is the Pileated Woodpecker. There is one Woodpecker left, and it's pretty rare in my area. The Red-Headed Woodpecker, which I hope to attract to my yard via a nestbox.

Good Luck!

Wow! We only get three kinds of Woodpecker here in Britain!
Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, Great Spotted Woopecker and European Green
Woodpecker! None of those species visit my Garden!

I forgot to mention that of all those, there are 2 of the red-bellied, 2 of the downies, 1 or 2 of the hairies, and 1 of the pileated.

Seems that once you find the first of a species, they start popping up much more often. Congrats on finding your second and good luck on your next.

And talk about how areas differ in Woodpecker species, we have 27 in Mexico:
Lewis's Woodpecker
Acorn Woodpecker
Black-cheeked Woodpecker
Golden-cheeked Woodpecker
Gray-breasted Woodpecker
Yucatan Woodpecker
Gila Woodpecker
Golden-fronted Woodpecker
Williamson's Sapsucker
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
Red-naped Sapsucker
Red-breasted Sapsucker
Ladder-backed Woodpecker
Nuttall's Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Hairy Woodpecker
Arizona Woodpecker
Strickland's Woodpecker
Smoky-brown Woodpecker
Golden-olive Woodpecker
Gray-crowned Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Gilded Flicker
Chestnut-colored Woodpecker
Lineated Woodpecker
Pale-billed Woodpecker
Imperial Woodpecker (maybe extinct)

So far, I've onbly found 9 of them:
Acorn Woodpecker
Black-cheeked Woodpecker
Golden-cheeked Woodpecker
Golden-fronted Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
Smoky-brown Woodpecker
Golden-olive Woodpecker
Lineated Woodpecker
Pale-billed Woodpecker

Hey, i want to know more about the Imperial Woodpecker (or is it another name for the Ivory-Billed?)

gthang said:
Hey, i want to know more about the Imperial Woodpecker (or is it another name for the Ivory-Billed?)
Hi Gthang,

It is closely related to Ivory-billed, but not quite the same - slightly larger (56-60cm) and with a different pattern on the head & neck (no white stripe up the side of the neck). Last reported 1958 and now presumed extinct.

Seb Seb said:
Wrynecks- are they woodpeckers or not? *clueless*
Hi Seb,

Yes, they are.

Michael

Lawrence Kilham has a book on Woodpeckers in Eastern North America. Readable, no color pics. Only $9. A good start.

Last edited:
I would think the most comprehensive monograph on Woodpeckers is:

Winkler, Hans, David Christie, and David Nurney. Woodpeckers: A Guide to the Woodpeckers of the World. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1995. 406p. ISBN 0395720435. All 214 species worldwide; color illustrations; maps; natural history. Illustrated by David Nurney.

It seems to be out of print, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that A&C Black (the UK publishers) are going to issue a revised edition.​

Jason​

A&C Black have a website, but the book's not listed among their ID guides (like I said, it's out of print). You might pick up a secondhand copy through Abebooks or Bookfinder.

Jeez laweez, what the heck?
for a used book (Woodpeckers of the World), it sure is mighty expensive... we're talking 36-40 bucks...

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back