• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping large birds(hawk size)??? (2 Viewers)

Paulyoly

whenever i take pics of large birds they never seem to be as sharp or detailed as my pics of smaller birds, after thinking about this i guess it's because most of my small bird pics are taken from 20-30 feet and larger birds i must be atleast 50+ feet away to get the whole bird in, so my question is how can i get the detail i get of the small birds when taking pics of the larger birds? Would a lower mag eyepiece and me closer help? I'm using the pentax pf80ed-a with the pentax xl-28 eyepiece. here's some pics taken of a hawk from 60 feet or so.

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showphoto.php?photo=8841

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showphoto.php?photo=8840

the closeup is pretty good, can anyone tell if these pics were taken at full zoom or not using the exif data?

Don't know, but you wouldn't have a hope in hell's chance of getting within 60 feet of a large hawk in Britain - they're far too timid after centuries of persecution, often still continuing. Over here, you'd be lucky to get your pic from closer than 1,000 feet, unless you're concealed in a hide.

Michael

Michael Frankis said:
Don't know, but you wouldn't have a hope in hell's chance of getting within 60 feet of a large hawk in Britain - they're far too timid after centuries of persecution, often still continuing. Over here, you'd be lucky to get your pic from closer than 1,000 feet, unless you're concealed in a hide.

Michael

That's a shame, our hawks, atleast in my area, are much more tolerant of people, maybe because we have so many damn people living in Florida.:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back