• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is Malta safe for bird watching (1 Viewer)

BillN

This is a serious question. I was talking to some retired friends at the weekend who are planning a holiday to Malta or Cyprus.
The husband said that he was taking his bins to do a bit of "bird watching" - he had not heard about the TV report of hunting in Malta.

I am trying to persuade them not to go to Malta - does anyone know if any bird watchers has been shot by mistake by hunters in Malta?

Is Malta safe for visitors to walk around in the countryside bird watching or do you have to stick to protected reserves

I have put it in the Cyprus section as there is no section for Malta

Last edited:
Not been myself, obviously, but I'd imagine it would be all be rather depressing and demoralising - not many birds and the sound of regular gunshots.

Wandering around with bins may not be 'unsafe' as such, but likely to be stressful and being careful to avoid any possible confrontations. Not really a good holiday imo.

Just sent the link through, I am sure that they will not consider Malta for another holiday when they see them.

There are many other places to go, although they prefer English speaking places

They have been before and liked the island, they are not "keen" watchers, just an 'older" retired couple interested in nature ……….. but the evidence is compelling against holidays in Malta, even if you are not a "keen" bird watcher there seems to be misery and danger everywhere in their countryside ……… just not worth the personal risk even though most of the people are very nice, (so they tell me).

What 'nature' would you expect on an overpopulated and deforested island as Malta? Just a serious question. Malta would be seriously down on my priority list in terms of nature, there are other (less) overpopulated and deforested islands in the med. with more birds / nature / ... and less hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back