• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Green or Wood Sandpiper, Fife, Scotland. (1 Viewer)

Stonefaction

Dundee Birding....(target 150 in 2024).
Scotland
While out and about on Saturday around Fife, Scotland, we chanced upon a couple of birds at an inland pool in a wooded area. Didn't expect to see any birds so got a surprise when the two birds lifted and flew across the pool, touching down briefly on the other side then immediately taking off again and flying off away from us, calling as they went. The white rumps were very apparent. Managed to snap a few photos as they disappeared over the trees. I initially called them as Green Sandpipers, and listening to calls on an ipod app seemed to suggest that they were indeed Greens. However neither of the two of us were completely sure that the calls we'd heard were the same as on the app.

Checking the photos later on the PC had me doubting the ID as the pics seemed to show a pale-ish underwing rather than the dark that a Green should have had. Reported them on Birdguides as Wood Sandpiper based on the apparent pale underwing.

The following morning a couple of Green Sandpipers were reported in the same area (though not at the same site) and had me wondering about my ID once again. Reading up on both suggested that Green was more likely at a wooded pool, and that Green should be bulkier than Wood. I've only seen one of each species previously (over a year ago) and neither in flight. The pale underwings may be a result of the camera settings rather than an actual pale underwing, but I'm not sure.

The angle of the photos is probably the worst possible to seperate the two species but I'm hoping that someone with more experience of both species will be able to help. I think they are most likely to be Green Sandpipers but would appreciate any input. Apologies for the quality of the photos.

Attachments

• 2011 08 06_2152.jpg
    2011 08 06_2152.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 116
  • 2011 08 06_2153.jpg
    2011 08 06_2153.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 84
  • 2011 08 06_2155a.jpg
    2011 08 06_2155a.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 131
  • 2011 08 06_2156.jpg
    2011 08 06_2156.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 86
Thanks Lou, they did call, but they took us completely be surprise and I was too busy concentrating on getting some kind of photo to help ID them that there was only vague recollection of what they sounded like. Listening to alarm calls on the Ipod suggested Green, but I wasn't completely certain.

Hi Barry, this is indeed a Green Sand. The wings and the back are much too dark for Wood Sand which is a much paler brown. There's also a real contrast between the blackish-brown and white on this bird due to it's overall darkness, and this is very prominent in flight on Green Sands and is clear feature of the bird (s) in your photographs. It's toes are furthermore not projecting beyond the tail, whereas a Wood Sands toes would project entirely beyond the tail, and it appears stockier than a Wood Sand would, the latter of which is quite slender looking. Nice find.

Joseph

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back