• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ailsa Craig for sale (1 Viewer)

Two miles wide and 1,100 feet at its highest point, the island is an RSPB nature reserve with one of the world’s largest colony of gannets, the wonderfully gregarious guillemots, herring gulls, razorbills, kittiwake and the photogenic sardine-eating puffins.

Those puffins must fly further to feed than we realised.

Deceptive little buggers.

If the RSPB has a spare £2.5 million, I hope that they will spend it on something more worthwhile.

Ailsa Craig is designated as a Special Protection Area under the EU wild birds directive, which is the highest level of legal protection a site can have, so this will contrain the activities of any owner of the island. While it might be nice for the RSPB to own it, it probably wouldn't make that much difference to the conservation of the seabirds nesting there.

Also I see that it is being sold as a 'private island', but I'm not sure how that works with the access legislation. It is possible for visitors to land on the island, and indeed I have done so myself many years ago.

I've landed on the island myself.

I agree that the RSPB shouldn't buy it, their money would be better spent elsewhere, but I hope they still get allowed to maintain their presence on the island.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back