• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Setting the aperture on the 18-55 for macro reversal (1 Viewer)

himbird

IndianBirdy
Dear all,

Apologies if I am posting in appropriate community.

After connecting reverse lens to camera Canon 1200D,the aperture shows F00 (lens not connected), which is right.. but how to get focus on the subject? what are the settings I should follow

When I am trying to capture, all images are coming blurred.

Equipment: Canon 1200D, Les kit: 18-55mm and lens reversing ring: JJC

Thanks

Sudhir

I dont know about reversed zoom lenses for macro but it may be similar to none reversed,get the lens close to the subject start about one inch and just use the zoom ring instead of focus ring see if its any better,you may need to try different close distances.

Don't forget that the main reason for reversing a lens is that lenses are designed to work with the image closer to the rear of the lens than the subject at the front. At macro distances the situation is reversed so with some lenses one could get a better corrected image by reversing the lens.

Some zoom lenses tended to a be a bit of a nuisance back in film days when I last reversed lenses, so I stuck to old manual primes. Most of the time I was mounting the camera + lens on a geared track attached to something solid as very small movements had a significant effect on focus and using the manual focus ring on the lens for fine focus.

In order to close the aperture I used lenses with a manual aperture, or modified the aperture closing mechanism at the rear of the lens. For those folks who used auto lenses there were devices similar to the speed graphic device that Malcolm has found.

In the end it became apparent that with many lenses the potential optical advantage of reversing a lens as opposed to just using extension rings was fairly minimal as most of the standard prime lenses had a fairly symetrical construction. That is not true with zoom lenses, so there are in theory possible gains to be made.

I personally have no desire to ever reverse a lens again. I assume that your motivation is that using extension rings caused lens abberations of an unacceptable nature in which case you may find that attaching close up lenses (or close up filters in some areas) to the filter ring and stopping down may be a solution.

I know I tried a reversing ring with extension rings once to try and achieve the image I wanted after giving up with bellows, but gave up as I think I needed something in between, but that may help in your case. I know I was manufacturing a lot of bits from scrap materials along the way.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back