• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sigma 150-600 Sports (1 Viewer)

Mark Etheridge

Bird Shooter (With A Camera)
The previous thread for this lens appears to be closed, so I'll start a new thread for it.

I have continued to be delighted with the performance of my Siggy Sports, now married to a Nikon D500, but unfortunately it developed a major fault over the past day or so.

The zoom function locked at 150mm, no amount of twisting and pulling, or fiddling with the zoom lock would shift it. I have sent it back to Sigma UK and I have just received a report that it "needs a replacement zoom roller". I have asked them to go ahead with the repair.

Probably I have just been unlucky, but I'll leave this here in case anyone else experiences the same problem.

Fingers crossed I don’t get the same! I just picked up a copy of the lens today. Did you get the issue sorted?

Sadly it was dark at the time I left the shop, so the only pictures I’ve taken are of a light bulb...

I’m hoping to get out around Salford Quays tomorrow, if we get a brightish day.

Yes I did, but it left my wallet a couple of hundred quids lighter...:eek!:

On the upside, Sigma also gave it a good clean and calibration, and it's giving even better results than before. Not that I'm recommending such a drastic solution.:-O

I just got one a couple of weeks ago, along with a Canon 80D. Unfortunately, the telescope curse hit, and I've had cloudy rainy weather every weekend, though I did get out briefly this past weekend. My number one complaint is the weight. I can barely hand hold it steadily, and not for long. The Mefoto tripod a friend recommended is too lightweight and not tall enough, so I pulled out my Orion Telescope tripod. Aluminum, but not that much heavier, and I can raise the camera to a much more comfortable height. I got some very nice shots with it during a break in the weather. Enough that I'll probably keep the lens, since at one point I considered exchanging it for a 400mm model. I think I still want a lighter 200-400mm lens for more portability, and save this one (I'm calling it the Eye of Sauron) for when I want to do some serious photography.

I just got one a couple of weeks ago, along with a Canon 80D. Unfortunately, the telescope curse hit, and I've had cloudy rainy weather every weekend, though I did get out briefly this past weekend. My number one complaint is the weight. I can barely hand hold it steadily, and not for long. The Mefoto tripod a friend recommended is too lightweight and not tall enough, so I pulled out my Orion Telescope tripod. Aluminum, but not that much heavier, and I can raise the camera to a much more comfortable height. I got some very nice shots with it during a break in the weather. Enough that I'll probably keep the lens, since at one point I considered exchanging it for a 400mm model. I think I still want a lighter 200-400mm lens for more portability, and save this one (I'm calling it the Eye of Sauron) for when I want to do some serious photography.

You could look at the Sigma or Tamron 100-400

You should get the 150-600 Contemporary and not the 'Sport' if weight is your concern - its a lot lighter and about the same image quality. The main difference between the two (apart from price and weight) is the 'Sport' has a better build quality, especially the weather proofing and also a slightly less MFD. If you are concerned about the weather proofing on the 'contemporary' then just buy a cheap water proofed lens cover (widely available).

Last edited:
I've had the sport for just short of 4 years now and it's still my lens of choice for everyday use, well over 95% hand-held and on the move, often all day. A tripod is too much baggage. My 400/5.6 has hardly been out of the cupboard since I bought the Sport. After a winter lay-off the left arm soon gets used to it again.

One from last September's migration and one from this morning.

Attachments

• Honey-Buzzard-(139)-Cascabel-800webbforum.jpg
    Honey-Buzzard-(139)-Cascabel-800webbforum.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 247
  • Tree-Sparrow-(7)-800webbforum.jpg
    Tree-Sparrow-(7)-800webbforum.jpg
    287 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:
I had the Contemporary for three years,Always used it handheld, excellent value for money.
I then bought a 100-400 MkII and had both for a year - (sadly the Siggy 150-600 had to go as it was just not getting any use).

Below is a few shots taken with the siggy 150-600 c (for the poster who is concerned with the weight of the sport)

Attachments

• dunnock 01PN lab.jpg
    dunnock 01PN lab.jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 122
  • young dunnock 01PN lab.jpg
    young dunnock 01PN lab.jpg
    312.5 KB · Views: 119
  • swallow in flight1.jpg
    swallow in flight1.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 143
  • stone02.jpg
    stone02.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 132
  • skylark 01PN lab edit1.jpg
    skylark 01PN lab edit1.jpg
    320.1 KB · Views: 120
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back