• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Peace bird shooting MLA condemned (BBC News) (1 Viewer)

http://www.losgauchos.com/argentina-dove-hunting.html

http://www.argentinahunting.com.ar/wingshooting-tips.htm

I have found 2 links to state the enthusiasm as seen as well advertised for shooting Doves. This is not helping the quality of life of the Doves in question.

The Argentinean economy can do better, than shooting it's own native wildlife at the end of the day. Is it such a money spinner for this country?

I cannot find anything to state any protection of Dove species otherwise, other than in the USA there are certain laws laid down. Are they considered pests or not? Still not clear about these facts too?

Maybe I am too soft here, but I cannot understand why people seen to get the perverse pleasure out of killing wild creatures who have a right to live. Is it just some 'butch' thinking here that has got out of context. :C

I am keeping away from the human element of this discussion, but I am sure that there will be plenty of thoughts here too.

Send people on Cley pigeon shoots, at least the targets are not alive. Quick answer here.

Regards
Kathy

Last edited:
There will be those who say we shouldn't criticise as it is legal! Glad to see that the USPCA isn't as hamstrung as the RSPB in it's comments.

---

THE FINEST DOVE HUNTING IN THE WORLD - IT'S INCREDIBLE!

A variety of Doves are available for hunting in Argentina, but most plentiful is the Torcaza or "Eared Dove" - very similar to our American Mourning Dove. Their numbers reach into the tens of millions and they destroy up to 40% of corn, wheat, and sunflower crops annually. Shooting for this "pest" is year round and there is absolutely no season or limits! The heaviest shooting is from September through March (Argentine summertime).

Because the doves fly constantly from sun-up to sun-down, firing 1000-2500+ rounds a day is normal.

You won't believe it until you've seen it for yourself!

It's a Dove Factory! Typically we recommend three days of Dove hunting because of the incredible volume,

KIDS HUNT DOVES FREE on our Argentina trips!

---

(link available on request.)

Attachments

• dove2.jpg
    dove2.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 71
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 70
All well and good but there are estimated to be 30 million doves in the Cordoba Area of Argentina alone, they have few predators and breed upto five times a year and are regarded in Argentina as virtually a plague on the arable crops. So in my view the MLA is better off shooting there than shooting the snipe and woodcock here in Northern Ireland.

Whether you like it or not people shoot birds for whatever reason and in my view it is far better they shoot something that is over populated as opposed to birds that aren,t. So the USPCA are really doing it for their own publicity and wow look it works. They get their ten minutes in the spotlight to the detriment of the MLA who is entitled to shoot doves in Argentina if he so wishes without it being blasted over the media.

PS I dont vote DUP

Shooting for this "pest" is year round and there is absolutely no season or limits!

Which sounds pretty much like woodpigeon shooting in the UK, where bags of 500 or more a day by a single gun are not that unusual. So long as the birds are eaten (usually exported in the UK) I don't really see the problem. Far less cruelty involved than factory-farmed chicken, etc.

Jonathan

Which sounds pretty much like woodpigeon shooting in the UK, where bags of 500 or more a day by a single gun are not that unusual. So long as the birds are eaten (usually exported in the UK) I don't really see the problem. Far less cruelty involved than factory-farmed chicken, etc.

Jonathan

Hi Jonathon

I certainly could see Woodpigeon in rows, all plucked, and ready for sale in one of our local butchers last weekend. There is quite a good piece of meat on them (never tried them). The same butcher had rabbit, and all other assortment of other game birds etc..., so they must specialize in doing this.

As you say, with the Woodpigeons, it is a quick 'death', and that is it. No feeding with unhealthy foodstuffs to fatten them up. The meat is natural, and they do not suffer from unhealthy, cramped living quarters. Yes, to eat them is fine. Maybe, I am contradicting myself, as I like to eat meat anyway.

Looking at Percy (and Mrs Percy) my own Woodpigeons well they are birdtable visitors. So I still like them anyway. ;)

Regards
Kathy

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back