• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

WT Eagle presumed shot in Scotland (1 Viewer)

Isurus

Haven't seen this mentioned elsewhere, forgive me if its a duplicate. Bad news but an interesting step by police to go public without evidence, hopefully it will cause a real PR backlash against the estate:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtml?xml=/earth/2007/12/04/eagle104.xml

A rogue estate has been blamed for the death of a white-tailed sea eagle - the first to be shot in Scotland since 1918.

Sea eagles are Britain's largest birds of prey with a wing span of eight feet
The young bird was one of 15 chicks released into eastern Scotland from Norway in June as part of a five-year reintroduction programme.

It is understood to have been slaughtered on an estate in Angus, which police were refusing to name.

Officers said an informant told them the eagle had been killed on a grouse moor.

I hope the other chicks fare better. It's so hard to believe that people in this day age would shoot such a magnificent creature.

Last edited:
Does anyone know which bird it was?
The fact that it was in angus and i've not heard much about 'N', who was resident at Montrose Basin is ringing a few alarm bells with me.

What a great pity that these great birds are still subject to persecution. Getting this type of publicity may be the only way in the long term to educate everyone that this is unacceptable.

What a great pity that these great birds are still subject to persecution. Getting this type of publicity may be the only way in the long term to educate everyone that this is unacceptable.

Confiscating estates would be a better way. Perhaps estates could be confiscated and their lawns close to the mansion turned into Trump golf courses.

John

Confiscating estates would be a better way. Perhaps estates could be confiscated and their lawns close to the mansion turned into Trump golf courses.

John

How about handing confiscated Estates over to the RSPB who could manage them Properly and give a boost to the raptor population.

Let's open the book 'evens' no charges bought.

As with previous threads. Bird shot on land - landowner prosecuted irrespective of further evidence.........

John

hi John

I so agree here that some estates need to be monitored and birds of prey need monitored to the point that any movement is scrutinized 24/7 - cam-camera non stop.

Some nature reserves do this already anyway so there is no harm in adding estates to the agenda. I wonder if Trump could see a BoP as an addition to his golf courses - I doubt it somehow as the dollars get in the way of his eyeballs :C

Regards
Kathy

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back