• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

white shag in Cornwall, England (1 Viewer)

John Knifton

I photographed this bird on Godrevy Island, north of Hayle, Cornwall, England in the last week or so of August this year. Why is it so white ? It stood out like a sore thumb from the rest

Attachments

• P1250728.jpg
    P1250728.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 151
  • P1250729.jpg
    P1250729.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 238
  • P1250888.jpg
    P1250888.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 93
  • P1250892.jpg
    P1250892.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 128
  • P1260796.jpg
    P1260796.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 111
I photographed this bird on Godrevy Island, north of Hayle, Cornwall, England in the last week or so of August this year. Why is it so white ? It stood out like a sore thumb from the rest

Birds with white patches intermingled with some normal plumage are usually described as leucistic. Partial Leucism, or localized hypopigmentation. A genetic mutation that prevents melanin from being deposited normally in the feathers. Typically these abnormal birds tend not to survive for all that long, being much more visible to predators (' it stood out like a sore thumb') and are less likely to attract a mate, consequently, the mutated gene that caused this leucism is less likely to be passed to the next generation
I would have loved to have seen it!

Thanks a lot for the input. Further research has revealed that there is another race of shag in the Mediterranean called "desmarestii" whose juveniles can be very pale indeed, if not whitish. Does anybody out there have experience of these birds ? Could one have wandered up to Cornwall ?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back