• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bronze-cuckoo, Port Douglas, Australia. (1 Viewer)

punkskaphil

Hello everyone. Going through photos of some of the trips I've been on in the last few years, I came across this Bronze-cuckoo. It was taken in Port Douglas, Queensland, in September 2009 and the birding guide who was with me at the time said it was a Gould's. At the time he was preoccupied in trying to find a Frogmouth so didn't really pay much attention to it, and reading a book soon after the trip it suggested it could be something else (for the life of me, I can't remember right now what it did suggest).

I am inclined to trust him because he's a very experienced pro (and I'm a very inexperienced amateur), but if anybody else could confirm Gould's or something else, I'd be very grateful. Thanks.

Attachments

• bronze_cuckoo.jpg
    bronze_cuckoo.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 94
To me this bird looks like a Little Bronze Cuckoo in this shot. I can't see any of the rusty tones on the ups, breast sides or supercilium that I'd expect to see on a Gould's.

It's a Little Bronze Cuckoo, the default Bronze Cuckoo for the Cairns area (bearing in mind that Little and Gould's are conspecific), though probably of the nominate minutillus race, once called the Little Bronze Cuckoo, separate from the more abundant local Gould's Bronze Cuckoo, which has much browner plumage tones.

Phil Gregory who consults for the IOC is a friend of mine and he lives locally. He is also a world expert on this species complex. He is a proponent of many splits which have taken place recently but is adamant that these two birds are conspecific, largely due to the complex breaking down completely in New Guinea.

Yet despite this many foreign birders still cling on to the hope that they may be separate species so that they get an extra tick. I don't deny that it irritates me a great deal that some of them so readily dismiss Phil's expertise.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back