• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help Decoding a Serial Number Please (1 Viewer)

David_Rosenthal

I was going through my late Father's things tonight and came across a old leather binocular case with the Swift logo embossed on the front. I opened it up and inside was a pair of PRISTINE Swift SKIPPER 7,50's (Old Mk11).

The glass is mint, the case is mint, even the screws that usually rust out over time are still black and all 4 caps are there. The only negative is that he engraved his drivers license number on the left front plate.

The serial number is 6-634078

At least I think that is the serial number. Can any one help me decode that into a mfg date or factory location? I would love to know when he purchased these and where they were made.

The other markings that I found are:

J-E10 and J-B142

Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited:
I was going through my late Father's things tonight and came across a old leather binocular case with the Swift logo embossed on the front. I opened it up and inside was a pair of PRISTINE Swift SKIPPER 7,50's (Old Mk11).

The glass is mint, the case is mint, even the screws that usually rust out over time are still black and all 4 caps are there. The only negative is that he engraved his drivers license number on the left front plate.

The serial number is 6-634078

At least I think that is the serial number. Can any one help me decode that into a mfg date or factory location? I would love to know when he purchased these and where they were made.

The other markings that I found are:

J-E10 and J-B142

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi,

Welcome to Birdforum, David.

If the binocular were made by Hiyoshi Kogaku then the s/n would show that it was made in 1963 (the first two digits of 634078). However, JB-142 indicates that the manufacturer of the finished product was Subaru Kogaku Kikai, so it's not clear if the date coding was the same. Would 1963 be reasonable for your father to have acquired the instrument? JE-10 indicates the metal working (frame) manufacturer, Toko Seiki, Co.

The 1960 Swift catalog shows a Model 789 7x50 Skipper having a fairly narrow 376 ft. field of view, and weighing 35.5 oz. It is characterized as "the basic Naval binocular with center focus added for your convenience..." It is also sealed against moisture and dust, probably with O-rings, Ve coated optics, and removable eyecups. It was moderately expensive at $62.00.

Ed

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back