• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Oregon leader seized in deadly clash (1 Viewer)

Hooray. Hopefully this is an end to the madness and Malheur can get back to being about the wildlife rather than armed thugs trying to weasel out of their debts. The only shame is that just one of the terrorists was iced rather than the lot of them.

I applaud the authorities taking action. But I suggest we keep the label "terrorists" to people who really deserve it--i.e. people who have as their goal doing violence to other people (or inciting fear of violence). The fellow who was killed had previously stated he would prefer death to being in jail; he evidently got his wish.

Last edited:
If occupying a nature reserve while armed to the teeth with weaponry that, as we've seen, you are prepared to use against the federal authorities does not constitute doing violence or inciting fear of violence, then I don't know what does.

These people absolutely are terrorists, and may they be subjected to the same treatment that terrorists with darker skin are.

If occupying a nature reserve while armed to the teeth with weaponry that, as we've seen, you are prepared to use against the federal authorities does not constitute doing violence or inciting fear of violence, then I don't know what does.

These people absolutely are terrorists, and may they be subjected to the same treatment that terrorists with darker skin are.

Way too sweeping. By your definition just about any crime involving guns could be described as terrorism.

Way too sweeping. By your definition just about any crime involving guns could be described as terrorism.

If the crime involves armed opposition to a democratic Federal government, it's not exactly a huge leap of logic, is it?:h?:

However, the misuse of guns by US authorities below the Federal level might easily fall into the same definition, but of course they are operating in the knowledge that there are more legally-owned guns than people in the US, due to serial illogicalities presented as reasonable conclusions.

Some context from this side of the pond: killings of unarmed civilians by police in the US in December totaled higher than for the whole of the UK since the 1940s.

As far as I know, none of our radicals, criminals, semi-literate thugs or assorted numpties have as a result considered that armed occupation of a nature reserve to be a worthwhile strategy.... Our armed insurrectionists merely shoot protected raptors in pursuit of their ideology.:eek!:
MJB

If the crime involves armed opposition to a democratic Federal government, it's not exactly a huge leap of logic, is it?:h?:

However, the misuse of guns by US authorities below the Federal level might easily fall into the same definition, but of course they are operating in the knowledge that there are more legally-owned guns than people in the US, due to serial illogicalities presented as reasonable conclusions.

Some context from this side of the pond: killings of unarmed civilians by police in the US in December totaled higher than for the whole of the UK since the 1940s.

As far as I know, none of our radicals, criminals, semi-literate thugs or assorted numpties have as a result considered that armed occupation of a nature reserve to be a worthwhile strategy.... Our armed insurrectionists merely shoot protected raptors in pursuit of their ideology.:eek!:
MJB

Last time I looked, the word for "armed opposition to. . .government" was "rebellion" not "terrorism" and may or may not apply in this case, I'm not enough of a lawyer to know. But, whatever the charge, some or all of the participants in the refuge takeover will certainly end up in prison, and that is a good thing.

Yes, yes, yes, American statistics on gun-related homicide by police are deplorable, as are our overall homicide and incarceration rates, though what exactly all this provides "context" to in the present discussion, I'm not sure. By all accounts, including his own, the dead insurrectionist was armed and prepared to resist arrest.

And yes, yes, yes, again, there are very large numbers of guns in private hands in the States, and that is a bad thing.

Last edited:
According to today's New York Times, a total of 19 people have now been arrested in connection with the Malheur occupation (and with another incident concerning public lands in Nevada involving many of the same personnel). All these folks are likely to receive prison sentences. I was initially critical of the government's handing of the 2 incidents but am much less so now that all the major culprits appear to have been taken into custody and with minimal shedding of blood.

According to today's New York Times, a total of 19 people have now been arrested in connection with the Malheur occupation (and with another incident concerning public lands in Nevada involving many of the same personnel). All these folks are likely to receive prison sentences. I was initially critical of the government's handing of the 2 incidents but am much less so now that all the major culprits appear to have been taken into custody and with minimal shedding of blood.

I note, but without surprise these days, that there are many trolls on message boards spreading the falsehood that the damage to the Malheur HQ either was done before the occupation, or after it, the first being the fault of the staff not being bothered to clean the place before closing for the winter, and the second being a Federal tactic to attribute the blame on ranchers.

It's not that some people have an out-of-kilter reality framework supplanting thinking, it's that so many willingly buy into stubbornly supporting such ludicrous assertions in the face of incontrovertible evidence.

I long for the days when the majority of nutters obligingly wrote in green ink...:-C
MJB

I long for the days when the majority of nutters obligingly wrote in green ink...:-C
MJB

Me too! I while away many minutes, that should be used more productively, reading the comments on the BBC news/Sport websites. Really scary and I cannot understand why sane people would ever post comments there; you might as well swim in a cesspool.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back