• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 5DMKIV (1 Viewer)

I have the Canon 300 F2.8 L IS Mk1 but I do not have a 5D4!

I do have a 1DX, 7D2, EOS 3, EOS 33V etc - they all work superbly with my Canon 300 F2.8. I would have no concerns about using one with a 5D4. I notice you have the Mk2 so the excellent performance of the Mk1 with Mk3 extenders will be even better with your lens and a 5D4.

Hi Geoff,

I have used a 5D4 on a EF300mm mk2 (and indeed EF500mm), usually with a 1.4x or 2x and have found it to perform perfectly okay, but personally having a 1DX2 as well I much preferred the photos from that. Focusing is also somewhat better on that as well in my opinion - logical given the battery size, hence why I ended up selling the 5D4. Given the higher density of pixels in the 5D4, your holding technique needs to be spot on as well as any slight movement is amplified more I feel.

If you look in my Flickr photo-stream and find the Nuthatch, Bullfinch and Blue Tit photos (they are all together) they are taken with the 5D4 and EF300mm and 1.4x in a dark woodland setting, so will give you an idea of how the combination performs - they were all hand held with me resting on the hide window ledge.

Cliff.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back