• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"Must see" places Dornoch & St. Andrews (1 Viewer)

Westward

Looking for recommendations on the "must see" places close to Dornoch and St. Andrews. I will be staying close to Dornoch for 4 days and then in the St. Andrews area for 7 days. Would like to know what would be the top places for birding close by. Also would love to go to Farne Island, is it feasible to do as a day trip from St. Andrews for one of the boat trips? Thanks very much, any info would be greatly appreciated.

Westward said:
Looking for recommendations on the "must see" places close to Dornoch and St. Andrews. I will be staying close to Dornoch for 4 days and then in the St. Andrews area for 7 days. Would like to know what would be the top places for birding close by. Also would love to go to Farne Island, is it feasible to do as a day trip from St. Andrews for one of the boat trips? Thanks very much, any info would be greatly appreciated.
The Farne islands would be one heck of a day trip-probably around 3+ hours travel each way. I believe there are boat trips from Anstruther just round the corner from St Andrews to the Isle of may http://www.isleofmayferry.com/ -many of the same birds asat the Farnes.You don't say when you are going but the sooner the better as birds like the puffins leave early. I'm sure some of the Fife birders will fill you in on other good spots though the RSPB's Vane Farm is usually worth a visit

I've been to Loch Fleet just north of Dornoch in autumn and it was good particularly for waders http://www.the-soc.zenwebhosting.com/sutherland-sites.htm

Fully agree with what Mark has said, The May is a better option logistically than The Farnes, and the birds are just as good.
Other places around St. Andrews is the bay itself and the 'Outhead' which can be very good for seabirds off-shore and waders around the rocks etc.
Literally just around the corner is Guardbridge with a luxurious birdwatching hide (the regulars are fantastic) that looks over the Eden Estuary with plenty of waders, Kingfisher, wildfowl etc. This is Edenwatcher's (BF Member) patch and if you PM him before you leave I am sure he will give you the up to date information.
South of St. Andrews is Fife Ness, quite a famous headland with another hide for seawatching (you need a key) if someone's there they will usually let you in. Also around here are Balcomie Gardens, Fife Ness Muir (ringing station), and the disused airfield, all of which can be excellent for migrants.
In my experience the birdwatchers in Fife are some of the friendliest in the UK and will freely give you site and bird information when your there, I am sure a couple of them will add to this in due course.

Hope you have a great trip, regards Jules

As others have said, time of year is a crucial factor in what you can see and where you should go so let us know when you'll be visiting.

Whilst you're in St Andrews you should take a walk along Lade Braes, which is a footpath running alongside the Kinness Burn. The burn is good for Dippers, especially the stretch parralel to Hepburn Gardens. There are also Grey Wagtails and a range of common woodland birds along there.

All fairly quiet on the Eden at the moment, but shorebird migration is just getting into its stride. Have had greenshank, whimbrel and black-tailed godwit in recent days.

As Jules says just PM me before you leave at I'll let you know the latest. Alternatively check out my thread in "My Local Patch".

Rob

"Must See" places Dornoch & St. Andrews.

Thank you all so much for the information. I will be in Dornoch the 1st week of August and then in St. Andrews the 2nd week. I hope that is not too late for the Puffins, really wanted to see them. St Andrews area sounds like a birders paradise, can hardly wait to get there.

Westward.

Hi Westward,

Puffins will pretty definitely have left their breeding grounds on the Isle of May but there would still be a very good chance of seeing them in the area. The best way to do this would either be by seawatching, e.g. from Fife Ness or by going on the boat trip to the Isle of May and seeing them from the boat.

That time of year is quite good for numbers and variety of birds and wader passage should be decent with a wide range of species going through sites like the Eden. There are often large numbers of gulls and terns about too, often roosting around the mouth of the Eden (north side is usually best). Little Gulls can be a fairly regular sight and Arctic and Great Skuas are often about. Seabird passage off Fife Ness can also be interesting in the right conditions (winds between about north and south east usually best).

Sadly the Puffins, Guillemots, Razorbills & terns on the Isle of May will be gone. Should still be Fulmar around & Gannets on the sea. Most of the auks leave the burrows & breeding cliffs around mid-july & head away from coastal waters with young in tow but might still be some around. Another possibility is a boat trip around the Bass rock from North Berwick & a visit to the Scottish Seabird centre there.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back