• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawk I.D. please..... (1 Viewer)

Shally

This was a fairly large hawk.... wondering if it could be a young goshawk?
Shally

Attachments

• hawk.jpg
    hawk.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 177
Now test your true birding skills... what bird is he eating!? Haha... Just kidding.

Very nice picture! I LOVE Cooper's Hawks... Have been seeing a lot of them down here lately in FL!

Scottfla72 said:
Now test your true birding skills... what bird is he eating!? Haha... Just kidding.

Very nice picture! I LOVE Cooper's Hawks... Have been seeing a lot of them down here lately in FL!

Ha ha ha! Actually he was eating a sparrow that I saw him snatch off of my birdfeeder before landing up on a tree to eat it!
Shally

Fine picture! Too bad you didn't get the full length of the tail in the picture, which probably would have provided the ID once and for all, but then there wouldn't have been much discussion. I'd guess from the mottled head it is an immature Cooper. Nevertheless, a fine picture indeed! I've had alot of private laughs at Hawk Mt. when people positively ID a Cooper from a Sharpshin at 1/2 a mile or more. This picture is proof that a male Cooper and a Female Sharpie are darned hard to distinguish at 20 feet!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back