• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

manfrotto 322 rc2 or slik af2100 (1 Viewer)

bisonsbits

I am currently looking for a tripod legs/head set up to use with my nikon d80, with a sigma 150-500mm and a sigma 150mm macro lens.
I think I have decided on the manfrotto 055xprob tripod legs, ( I cannot afford anything more than approx. £100) as I am 6'1" and can carry the weight of these legs with no problem. (I feel they are better suited, for me, than the 190xprob).
My question is, for the lenses I have, which "head" would be better suited for me? (both approx the same price)
In time I plan on getting the manfrotto 393 gimbal head, for the "bigmos," but would either of the two "heads" mentioned, be suitable for both lenses, for now?
Thankyou in advance.

Personally I would try and go for the Manfrotto 393, I found the 322 RC2 with a Bigma awkward to use as compared to the 393. Sorry I have never tried Slik AF2100.

I am currently looking for a tripod legs/head set up to use with my nikon d80, with a sigma 150-500mm and a sigma 150mm macro lens.
I think I have decided on the manfrotto 055xprob tripod legs, ( I cannot afford anything more than approx. £100) as I am 6'1" and can carry the weight of these legs with no problem. (I feel they are better suited, for me, than the 190xprob).
My question is, for the lenses I have, which "head" would be better suited for me? (both approx the same price)
In time I plan on getting the manfrotto 393 gimbal head, for the "bigmos," but would either of the two "heads" mentioned, be suitable for both lenses, for now?
Thankyou in advance.

Hi,

There is a video of the Manfrotto here

I use a Manfrotto 393 often with Pentax K20D and Sigma 150-500 and it's great!

When out and about I usually carry the camera / lens combo on a sling over my shoulder so that it hangs horizontally at my side, with a quick release clip snapped into the semi-circular screw thingy on the base of the quick release plate. When I want to put it on the tripod I simply unclasp it from the sling and snap it straight into the 323 QR on the tripod head.

Thanks for the comments guys. Would the Manfrotto 393 be too "fiddley" to use with a macro lens?
I plan on photographing insects mainly with my macro lens, so I thought the 322 rc2 or the af2100 would give me more versatility, but I was unsure whether either would be sturdy enough for the bigmos.
Then when I can save up again, I would purchase the 393 just for the bigmos.
Money, money, money!!!!! That's life.

Thanks for the comments guys. Would the Manfrotto 393 be too "fiddley" to use with a macro lens?
I plan on photographing insects mainly with my macro lens, so I thought the 322 rc2 or the af2100 would give me more versatility, but I was unsure whether either would be sturdy enough for the bigmos.
Then when I can save up again, I would purchase the 393 just for the bigmos.
Money, money, money!!!!! That's life.
I was never happy using the 322 RC2 with the Bigma incase it "flopped" forward, as for using the 393 as a macro head you could always try it, the camera/lens will stay were you point it!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back