• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Feisol tripods worth the extra cash? (1 Viewer)

RyanEustace

Ecology Student
I have been looking for a sturdy tripod just a recently , i have had a manfrotto 055xprob before and it was really good , but i want something abit more sturdy , prefrably without a center column , gitzo are well out of my league and over kill quite frankly as i use a 50d+400mm f5.6 , alot of you rave about feisol , especially you roy =] , ive been rooting through there website and the 3372 seems over kill as well , the Ct -3301 and Ct-3342 look quite appealing, do any of you use them or have another suggestion perhaps. I have a jobu jr head but need some legs to match.

Last edited:
I do not do macro work so i don't see the horizontal column being of much use if im honest.

It will be basically for hide use , so im not too bothered about maximum height nor a center column , its stability i'm after , so other than maximum height is there any other reason why i should get the Ct-3342 over the Ct-3301.

How do the giottos and manfrotto options stack up against freisol?

Last edited:
I do not do macro work so i don't see the horizontal column being of much use if im honest.

Not sure if you're talking about the Giotto range or not Ryan but if you are some have the standard centre column.
I have the GTMTL3261B, takes a 300 f2.8 + 2xTC easily, I bought the aluminium model as I found the price between this and the CF not worth it for the amount of weight saved, cost me £70 from Bristol Cameras and worth every penny.

cheers

John

ive been rooting through there website and the 3372 seems over kill as well
Depends if you intend to upgrade from the 400/5.6 to a heavier lens.
I bought the 3372 which I used with the 400/5.6 and Jobu Jr head But I bought it with a view to getting a heavier lens at sometime (I now use the 300/2.8 with a Jobu Blackwidow HD MkII on the 3372 and this is a superb combination).

I had a Manfrotto 055 proB before the Feisol and it was OK with the 400/5.6 but not in the same league as the Feisol which is both lighter and much more stable.

A Feisol tripods like the 3372 will comfortably take lenses up to the 600/4 but if you only ever intend to use it on something like the 400/5.6 then it would be very nice but possibly an overkill. A 3342 would be a nice pod for a lens like this but it depends how much you want to spend.

BTW, when you say are Feisols worth the extra cash - their tournament grade tripods compete with some of the best Gitzos and are around 20% cheaper than the equivalent Gitzo

Last edited:
I dont intend to upgrade any time soon , i shall be sticking with the 400mm f5.6 , basically i want the most sturdy colunmless 3 section tripod i can find for under £200 , and i keep ending back up at the feisol Ct-3301 , so maybe this is the route to take.

I'm very pleased with my CT-3301. I use it primarily with a Canon 100-400 zoom with 1.7X extender. Twist leg sections need to be kept clean of fine dust/grit, but excellent value compared to the 'big' names.

I had to send my Feisol monopod back, and abandon plans to buy a Feisol tripod, because they lack the anti-leg rotation found on Gitzo, Benbo and Velbon tripods with twist leg locks. I know a lot of people don't find this anwhere near as annoying as I do, but it may be worth checking before you buy.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back