• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon lense (1 Viewer)

The sniper

Hi,I currently shoot with a Nikon D7000 and sigma 150/500 lens.
I am interested in the Tamron 150/600 lense for the focal length it gives but am slightly wary of certain issues I have read about.
Ideally I would like a Nikon fixed lense which gets a decent focal length but these are obviously not cheap.
Are there any mid range but good Nikon Lenses that with a TC would give me a similar focal length to both of the above lenses???
I shoot AF so it would have to be compatible with that and I would prefer to buy from new.
I am relatively new to photography which is why I am a bit reluctant up spend thousands on the top end plus it would stretch my wallet and her indoors would go mad but if something was available cheaper then I could be persuaded,especially Nikon

Without doubt your best option (to meet your criteria) is the 300/4 and x1.7 TC (510mm). Stunning photos over on Fred Miranda nature forum with that combo. You can of course always leave the TC off when you need that extra stop or two of light (dawn/dusk/ UK weather). Still available new and comes closest to your budget (lens $1,300 - 1,400 or GBP800 plus the TC which is GBP350 new or ca. US$500). The 300/4 does not have VR though. If buying them used they should easily meet your budget with $$$ left over (which I'm assuming is the price of the new Tamron you mentioned, GBP1,150 or ca. $1,700).

There is also one experienced user over on that Fred Miranda nature forum now using the Tamron 150-600, his shots are nice (lack a little detail to my eyes) so I don't think an improvement on your 150-500 (I've seen very good shots from that lens). The Tamron / Sigma sharpness is not as good as the Nikon 300/4 though.

Last edited:
I would like to echo FF.

I don't think it will be worthwhile changing to the tamron lens if you have the sigma.

The Nikkor 300 f.4 is an excellent lens and works well with TCs - at a touch it may even possible the TC20EIII on the D7100 as it has F8.0 AF capability….. haven't tried that though.

What Nikon needs is a decent 400mm f4.0…. or 500mm f5.6 … light and affordable.

Gonna throw a spanner in the works. I wouldn't recommend a 300/4 and 1.7. Have used that combo it is possible to get useable shots but it needs a precise technique to get the best. Af is slow and no vr when you start shooting at f6.3 in the winter. Of course if you're goal is record shots then it'll be great. If you want best bang for bucks the only thing I'd suggest is looking for a decent used sigma 500/4.5. Unfortunately with Nikon prices these do seem to retain there price ( a few years ago sold mine for almost 50% profit )
300/4 and a 1.4 is a great combo and a serious contender.

Thanks guys for the advice,going to be a few months until I get a new lense so will take the advice of everyone on board!!! Thanks,rob

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back