• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (39 Viewers)

Today's highlights:

MOORS:
Garden Warbler. Still feeding well on berries of Spindle tree.
Black Tailed Godwit. Also seen at the Flashes.
Whooper Swan.
Mute Swan (28). Second highest count on record.
Blackcap (m+2f)--------------------Little Egret (1)
Mistle Thrush (2)--------------------Song Thrush
Fieldfare (15)------------------------Redwing (30)
Kingfisher----------------------------Sparrowhawk
Teal (20)-----------------------------Shoveler (14)
Pochard (10)-------------------------Wigeon (f)
Gadwall (m+f)-----------------------Snipe (21)
Lapwing (c40)------------------------Little Grebe (2)
Herring Gull (2)----------------------Cormorant (27)
Cetti's Wabler (2)

FLASHES/SAILING POOL*
Green Sand (1)-----------------------Lapwing (min 220)
Teal (15)------------------------------Shoveler (2) (6)*
Moorhen (21)-------------------------Water Rail (1)
Greylags (57) in fields---------------Cetti's Warbler singing from third flash.
G C Grebe (8)*-----------------------Curlew (12)
Snipe (8)------------------------------B H Gull (10) remaining at dark from c 80

+ a Red Admiral flying at 08.00 at the Moors and 2 Daubenton's bats feeding at the Flashes this evening.

Des.

Last edited:
At the half way point of November the monthly list stands on 86 species - potential additions in the remaining 15 days include (year ticks in bold):

Shelduck, Goldeneye, Mandarin, Scaup, Bittern, Red Kite, Merlin, Golden Plover, Woodcock, Yellow-legged Gull, Mediterranean Gull, Great Black-backed Gull, Little Owl, Tawny Owl, Short-eared Owl, Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, Stonechat, Waxwing, Mealy Redpoll, Brambling

From the Moors Pool this morning Phil W and Janette report:

Jack Snipe, 22+ Mute Swan, Whooper Swan, Black-tailed Godwit, Garden Warbler, 2 Blackcap, 2 Little Egret, 30+ Greylag Geese, Peregrine Falcon

Andy P reports from the Moors Pool this morning:

Whooper Swan, Black-tailed Godwit, Jack Snipe and 1 Little Egret. No sign of the Garden Warbler.

I have now managed to condense the "Birds of Upton Warren" opus that I compiled back in 2008 into an email-able PDF document. If anyone who bought a hard copy now wants a PDF version please email me on [email protected] with a photo of the front cover as proof (I didn't keep a record of who I sold copies to) and I will email it to you.

For those who are more recent to the Upton Warren scene, the opus is a complete history of the 235 species that had occurred at Upton by the end of 2007, running to some 245 pages. Whilst its now 10 years old and in need of an update (when I get time), I can send out a copy in return for a donation that will go direct into the reserve's local fund. Again email me on [email protected] for more details.

The 3 Shelduck are now at the Moors Pool along with the long-staying Whooper Swan and Black-tailed Godwit plus Jack Snipe.

Still only 4 Bewick's in at Slimbridge so far so still hope that birds may drop in on their journey south.

An early 6.45am start at FLASHES. By 8am the rain had set in for the morning it felt colder than the 8 degrees that it was and low cloud rendered the transmitter masts invisible.
The gull roost has completely finished for the year with just 9 BHG and 2 LBBG present at first light. Duck numbers were poor but a few teal arrived during the morning with majority feeding in the now wet meadow. The 3 shelduck thst eere on the Fladhes at first light moved to the Moors shortly afterwards. As the rain intensified the snipe came out of hiding and fed on the 'spit' and the new island in the NE corner of 1st Flash. Just a small amount of vis mig involving mipits chaffinch and Greenfinch. However, more interesting was the constant flow of south moving BHG flying in V formation mostly. These birds had probably roosted at Bartley reservoir. By 8.30 they had all over through. I left at 11.15 and will be back again next Saturday to do an all day session:t:

Species Count FLASHES:
Little grebe. Canada geese 220 roosted. Greylag 60. Teal 35. Mallard 25. Shelduck 3. Moorhen 31. Grey heron. Cormorant 5 over. Water rail 2.
Lapwing 302. Snipe 12. Curlew 12.
BHG 5500. Herring Gull 3. LBBG 6.
Buzzard 2. Pheasant. Stock dove 7.
Raven. Jay.
Kingfisher.
Cetti's w. Goldcrest.
Starling 35. Fieldfare. Song thrush 3. Redw ing 45+.
Chaffinch 10. Greenfinch 5 . Bullfinch . Goldfinch 25.
Pied wag. Meadow pipit 2.
Reed bunting.

SAILING POOL:
GCG 7. Little grebe 4. Shoveler 2 males. Tufted 8. Coot 15.

Last edited:
From the Moors Pool this morning Paul R reports:

Black-tailed Godwit, Whooper Swan, Jack Snipe, 6 Common Snipe, 3 Shelduck, showy Water Rail, Kingfisher, female Wigeon, 30 Goldfinch, Redpoll, Coal Tit, 12 Chaffinch, Curlew, Buzzard, 62 Greylag Geese

A swift visit yesterday and an obliging Water Rail.|=)|
Kept some great company in and out of the hide, as usual.

Attachments

• 1V8A8513.jpg
    1V8A8513.jpg
    875.8 KB · Views: 76
  • 1V8A8518.jpg
    1V8A8518.jpg
    823.7 KB · Views: 58
  • 1V8A8520.jpg
    1V8A8520.jpg
    799 KB · Views: 56
  • 1V8A8523.jpg
    1V8A8523.jpg
    806.8 KB · Views: 58
The attached photo shows the reaction of the wildfowl at the Moors Pool to close and loud gunfire from Hobden Hall Farm in late October - birds moved rapidly to the north end in a panic and remained tightly bunched in the top fifth of the pool for the next 30+ minutes, constantly wary and nervous.

Attachments

• IMG_1856.jpg
    IMG_1856.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 99
From the Flashes this morning Dave J reports:

3 Meadow Pipit, 332 Lapwing, 12 Curlew, 8 Snipe, 21 Fieldfare, 60 Greylag Geese, 4 Roe Deer

Following on from the record breaking Garden Warbler, another amazing sylvia record with a LESSER WHITETHROAT (potentially of an eastern form) at the North Moors viewed from the new hide as per Vern

From yesterday - the water rail was amazing moving right up the bank near the hide and swimming a long distance in the open.

Agreed :) Pied Flycatcher terrible weather but great company !

Also at the Moors Pool as per Dave J:

Whooper Swan, Black-tailed Godwit, 2 Snipe, 12 Curlew, 2 Little Egrets, 3 Shelduck, Wigeon, Gadwall, 13 Pochard, 4 Meadow Pipit, Coal Tit, Skylark, 5 Redpoll, 2 Siskin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back