• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (20 Viewers)

Yeah, I watched that Youtube footage after the event on Sunday evening - uncanny how it matched the observer's (verbal) description. One of the reasons I think it's probably genuine. :t:

Yes, me too. The date is spot on and since May 22nd, birds have been turning up daily with records as far west as Argyll, Dorset, Scilly and a 1st-summer male on the Isle of Man today. As long as the written description stacks up, then I see no reason why this record should not be accepted. The fact it's the first sighting for the county has no bearing on the validity of the record. The description would have to be as thorough if it was the 10th county record. We are so used to everything being captured on camera that we have to accept that this is not always possible and therefore we will be reliant on a good written description. Here's hoping anyway:t:

Brian

Could'nt agree more Brian - this should show the value of taking and/or making detailed field-notes whilst the sighting is still fresh in ones' mind - an activity that i see far less these days even on the odd twitch that i am able get to - so many people turn up to a bird that is found by somebody else and dont even bother to identify it for oneself - i always try to stick to a rule that the species in question has to satisfy me that it is the real deal as if i had found it on my own (as if) particularly as a good number of species have been deregulated but we dont all live on th Norfolk coast and something like a Nosefinch is an inland mega................BTW who found the Pec @ Grimmers?

Could'nt agree more Brian - this should show the value of taking and/or making detailed field-notes whilst the sighting is still fresh in ones' mind - an activity that i see far less these days even on the odd twitch that i am able get to - so many people turn up to a bird that is found by somebody else and dont even bother to identify it for oneself - i always try to stick to a rule that the species in question has to satisfy me that it is the real deal as if i had found it on my own (as if) particularly as a good number of species have been deregulated but we dont all live on th Norfolk coast and something like a Nosefinch is an inland mega................BTW who found the Pec @ Grimmers?

Mike Bourne phoned me too say he was watching an interesting wader and as I was close by, I shot down there and confirmed the ID. Third record for Grimley but the first for over 10 years so well pleased!

Brian

Like you say Jase the macro facility makes insects more accessible and interesting. Perhaps we could blitz (photographically) the abundant insect life at present to give us a bigger understanding of the reserve. We could ID them at a later stage.
B :)John

That sounds like a really interesting and useful exercise John and one that I wouldnt mind getting involved with if it does happen ;)

Hi Jase. Thanks. Check out some of the other photos - there are about 15. Other easy ones are the Ladybirds but there are some tricky flies and a couple of beetles. I think one's a Cardinal Beetle.
Cheers
Gert

I've got a couple more Id's for you Gert...Ive posted the details in the comments on your Flickr. The one fly is a Hover Fly (Helophius pendulus) and the small blue/gren coloured beetles are Nettle Weevils (Phyllobius virideaeris). They can vary in colour from green/blue to green/gold. I only know this because I saw some on nettles at Blackstone/Ribbesford yesterday whilst I was out on a walk and had to look them up when I got back.

One thing I noticed yesterday re the differences between the two birds was the apparent extent of white on the flanks - as seen in the photos below:

The newer bird appeared to show more extensive white on flanks - how did today's bird compare in this respect?

Having looked again at the photos I am happy that the current bird is most likely to be the same individual that arrived on Monday. We have now had two birds that have both spent three days at the Flashes; can this one make it four?

Prediction List for Upton warren's next new bird
those in are Red paid members.
Des if the winner has not paid up by the time new bird turns up, the winnings will be passed to the treasurer to buy more cakes for the 'cake club' :-O:-O
3:)
Whiskered Tern: Tim Jones
Green-winged Teal: Trevor Jones

Red-necked Grebe, Mike Wakeman
Glossy Ibis, Andy Gibb
Ring-billed Gull, Stuart Croft

Wryneck, Craig Reed
Cattle Egret, Dave Walker
Common Rosefinch, Des Jennings
Night-heron, Phil Andrews
Long-billed Dowitcher, Gert Corfield
Lesser Yellowlegs, John Belsey
Cirl Bunting, Simon Vickers
Black-throated Diver, Roger P
Spotted Sandpiper, Andy Warr
Caspian Gull , Kay D
Aquatic Warbler, Phil Quiney
Bean Goose, Graham LaB
Red Footed Falcon: Andy Pitt
Marsh Sandpiper: Mark Peacock
Purple Sandpiper: Terry Hinett
Great Reed Warbler: Gary Prescott

Up-dated 1st June 2011

So what happens of a Glossy Ibis turns up next week that we all see; do we wait to see the outcome of the Rarities Committee's deliberations on the Rosefinch (poss some time next year) before paying out?

So what happens of a Glossy Ibis turns up next week that we all see; do we wait to see the outcome of the Rarities Committee's deliberations on the Rosefinch (poss some time next year) before paying out?

As soon as it is submitted to Steven Payne or myself (via Worcester Birding) it will be circulated to members of the rarities committee. Although there are a number of 2009 records still pending, any records for 2010 and 2011 would be greatly received asap and will be circulated asap. For guidance on what species require a description, please see list here.

While supporting info is good, such as weather conditions, observer's experience etc, the description of the bird itself must be as detailed and thorough as possible. Often there is little for the committee to assess in terms of plumage detail and jizz but lots about the circumstances of the sighting.

Brian

The Common Rosefinch sounds a bit sketchy to me. Other than the person who claimed it (experienced birder or not), no-one else managed to get on bird to confirm identity. As a county first it will have to be a very good full written description of a 1st summer bird that could have, possibly been a Linnet. Perhaps a bit soon to claim 143 species on what has been an incredible year so far for Upton.

Hi Nosedive Karma,

This is one of the problems in trying to keep a track of the year list is what to do with such records; realistically we would have to defer any bird that requires a submission to the County Recorder. This would make such a tracking exercise meaningless. We have a similar problem when writing the annual report; we could wait another 12 months to know the outcome of all submissions or go with what we know. We now include in the annual report an addendum which lists all submission species noted in the previous year's report and their outcome (accepted / not proven / in circulation / not submitted).

As the author of the annual report it is my call (backed by my two editors) as to what is suitable for inclusion eg the near annual records we have of Hawfinch have never been suitably documented or supported it make it onto the reserve list. In this instance the finder spoke to two experienced birders (Woodchat and Upstarts) who have been part at the twitching scence to a greater or lesser extent and are used to such reports (both genuine and "stringy") in locations like the Scillies. Both were happy with the circumstances and description initially provided by the lucky finder. However it does all rest with any resulting record submission and I would agree that this would need to be full and thorough.

Rest assured Common Rosefinch will not be added to the reserve list until a successful outcome of any submission to the County Recorder.

Phil

Last edited:
As soon as it is submitted to Steven Payne or myself (via Worcester Birding) it will be circulated to members of the rarities committee. Although there are a number of 2009 records still pending, any records for 2010 and 2011 would be greatly received asap and will be circulated asap. For guidance on what species require a description, please see list here.

Thanks Brian - wasnt having a pop; very grateful for the time put in by the County Recorder and the Rarities Committee in assessing such records as speedily (and thoroughly) as possible. Must put my hand up as having several submissions outstanding for Worcs and elsewhere.

Last edited:
I've got a couple more Id's for you Gert...Ive posted the details in the comments on your Flickr. The one fly is a Hover Fly (Helophius pendulus) and the small blue/gren coloured beetles are Nettle Weevils (Phyllobius virideaeris). They can vary in colour from green/blue to green/gold. I only know this because I saw some on nettles at Blackstone/Ribbesford yesterday whilst I was out on a walk and had to look them up when I got back.

Thanks Jase. I was struggling with the Weevil. It's a whole new world, insects, and quite humbling !:t:

Thanks Brian - wasnt having a pop; very grateful for the time put in by the County Recorder and the Rarities Committee in assessing such records as speedily (and thoroughly) as possible. Must put my hand up as having several submissions outstanding for Worcs and elsewhere.

No worries Phil, I realised that:t:

Just thought it was worth driving home the point that the sooner records are received the sooner we can turn them round. Well, that's the theory anyway!

Brian

Can anyone confirm what the longest staying Red-necked Phalarope is the Worcestershire? The best I can find so far is 4 days at Gwen Finch in August 1999 (although I have seen some reports that this bird was present for 5 days).

Today's highlights with very few new Phalarope visitors.

FLASHES:
R N Phalarope (considerd by some to be the 2nd bird).
Avocet (10 + 17 young)----------LRP (6 + 2 young)
Lapwing (6 + juv)-----------------Oystercatcher
Shelduck (2)

ED RES/ SAILING POOL
Lesser Whitethroat

MOORS:
Common Tern (7)----------Garden Warbler (rear of West hide by river)
Gadwall (m)----------------G C Grebe (9+3 young)
Lesser Whitethroat

Gert, your damselfly is the Azure Damselfly- very common.

Phil, is JTB looking after the 'new bird/cake club' pounds?

Des.

He is - dont go spending it yet! ;) I take it we have lost another Avocet chick?:-C:-C

Money all safe, mind you I have the cake of the year as agreed with Dave, Morrison's cherry loaf .
Re chick at times they can be very difficult to count the best time is early am when they are all feeding, by 9am most are resting or sunning themselves.

Today's highlights with very few new Phalarope visitors.

FLASHES:
R N Phalarope (considerd by some to be the 2nd bird).
Avocet (10 + 17 young)----------LRP (6 + 2 young)
Lapwing (6 + juv)-----------------Oystercatcher
Shelduck (2)

ED RES/ SAILING POOL
Lesser Whitethroat

MOORS:
Common Tern (7)----------Garden Warbler (rear of West hide by river)
Gadwall (m)----------------G C Grebe (9+3 young)
Lesser Whitethroat

Gert, your damselfly is the Azure Damselfly- very common.

Phil, is JTB looking after the 'new bird/cake club' pounds?

Des.

In addition to the above sightings I saw a Hobby from the West Hide at the Moors Pool at 0745 and a Little Owl, initially on the roof of the garage behind Hobden Hall farm before flying up onto the telephone wires. The bird was observed from path between the Education Reserve and the Flashes at 1030. Little Owl takes my UW year list to 112 species.

In addition to the above sightings I saw a Hobby from the West Hide at the Moors Pool at 0745 and a Little Owl, initially on the roof of the garage behind Hobden Hall farm before flying up onto the telephone wires. The bird was observed from path between the Education Reserve and the Flashes at 1030. Little Owl takes my UW year list to 112 species.

Thanks Andy - I think it is only the third sighting of the Little Owl this year, a species that was seen on a near daily basis last year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back