• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Straits of Gibraltar 13, 14 & 15 September (1 Viewer)

Spainbirds

Santi - Spainbirds
Hi all,

I have been very busy in the last days and I couldn't keep with my idea to send you a daily report of the things we are seeing in the Straits. Anyway I will try to write a few words about the last three days.

Day 13: Palmones Bay and Alcornocales Natural Park

Cloudy but nice temperature in the morning near Algeciras. In the Palmones Bay we had a few species of waders including Oystercatcher, new bird for our trip, three Ospreys at the same time, Kingfisher, Spoonbill and White Storks. The weather at los Alcornocales was worse than expected and we had some rains for part of the evening. Here we had Firecrest, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Common Redstart, Northern Wheatear and quite a few raptors after the rain such as a party of 10 Egyptian Vultures, Sparrowhawks, several parties of Black Kites, Short-toed Eagles, Honey Buzzards and Booted Eagles. It seemed there were some rains in the watchpoints between Algeciras and Tarifa and the gliding species came to the Alcornocales.

Day 14: Bolonia - Cazalla - Algarrobo - Sierra de la Plata

Western winds today. In the morning we travelled near Bolonia where we tried for Rufous Bush Chat with no success however we had good numbers of Black Kites, Alpine Swifts and a single Black-eared Wheatear. Then we decided to move to Cazalla where we had an spectacular day with raptors everywhere and a couple of parties of Black Storks. Several Marsh Harriers, a Hobby and Montagu's Harriers were also seen but the most exciting moment was when a possible vulpinus race of Common Buzzard flew up into the valley and then perched in a electricity pylon. I managed to take some pictures before the bird flew (see attached files). Then I saw the upper tail pattern with a terminal dark band and a rufous tone which turned to white closer to the base of the tail. Although right identification between the cirtensis ssp of Long-legged Buzzard and the vulpinus race of Common Buzzard is far to be easy I would say quite sure that it was a vulpinus.
In the Algarrobo everything was very quiet but howerver we saw our second Rüepell's Vulture of the trip.Then we moved to Sierra de la Plata where we had a nice end seeing Iberian Green Woodpecker, Crag Martin, Blue Rock Thrush, three Sparrowhawks chasing a young Montagu's Harrier and an adult Griffon Vulture feeding a juvenile in the cliffs.

Day 15: Santuario - Los Lances beach - Cazalla - Algarrobo

East winds quite strong specially at Cazalla. We started the day in Santuario having a dozen of Griffon Vultures on the ground and many more in the air but we missed here Rüepell's Vulture, very often seen in the feeding station join Griffons. In los Lances amazing views of flocks of Black Kites, Honey Buzzards, a party of 26 Black Storks, Short-toed Eagles and of course Booted Eagles. Off shore we had Cory's and Balearic Shearwaters, Northern Gannets and Sandwich Terns, no signs of Lesser Crested Terns. In the beach itself good variety of waders including Kentish and Greater Ringed Plovers, Bar-tailed Godwits. Grey Plover, Turnstone, Sanderling, Dunlin and Curlew Sandpipers.
At Cazalla not many birds but all quite well seen including Egyptian Vultures. After an hour and a half here we decided to move to Algarrobo where the numbers of Booted Eagles were absolutely amazing. Dark, intermediate and light morphs everywhere! Unfortunately we had to come back to Málaga where this trip ends. I will come back with an American Birding Association group on monday. I will let you know then the changes in the migration.

Cheers,

Santiago Villa
www.spainbirds.com

Attachments

• vulpinus1.jpg
    vulpinus1.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 148
  • vulpinus2.jpg
    vulpinus2.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 138
  • vulpinus3.jpg
    vulpinus3.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
I'm envious of your repeated sightings of Rupell's Vulture! Where exactly is the feeding station you mention (day 15) & is it open to members of the public?

John

For the buteo: it has recently been proved from the raptor expert Andrea Corso that cirtensis bird sometimes have an identical tail pattern to vulpinus.
The bird in your pics shows extensive pale fringes to upperwing coverts, bad expression and strong and powerful legs and toes...all pointing to cirtensis from my recent experienc (two weeks ago) with cirtensis in southern Italy.

ciao
Michele

For the buteo: it has recently been proved from the raptor expert Andrea Corso that cirtensis bird sometimes have an identical tail pattern to vulpinus.
The bird in your pics shows extensive pale fringes to upperwing coverts, bad expression and strong and powerful legs and toes...all pointing to cirtensis from my recent experienc (two weeks ago) with cirtensis in southern Italy.

ciao
Michele

Dear Michele,

It seems that Dick Forsman agreed to me regarding the buteo vulpinus id and now has been accepted as Steppe Buzzard in the Rare Birds in Spain web site too. I have sent the corresponding description to the Spanish Rarititees Comitee. This is by far one of the most dificult challenges for birders here in Spain being so close to the cirtensis population specially in the South of Iberia.

I'm quite sure we will have very soon more information about identification of buzzards in Europe.

Santiago Villa
www.spainbirds.com

ID of dark and rufous cirtensis vs. similar plumages vulpinus is, from photos, one of the most difficult problem in raptors id. I mfound id. of 2nd cy Circus to be rather easy in comparison.
In the field structure, silhouette, flyght style, moult pattern, behaviour would help much but from photos, well, I would not take it easy...

Your bird could be either vulpinus or cirtensis, I would guess more cirtensis due to long gape line, high powerfull looking ill, strong looking tarsi, variegated appearance of pluamge, broad rufous firngings to upperwing coverts etc.... But I could surely not be sure.

Even if by now is many years I'm studing the matter for coming article in British Birds or Dutch Birding.

the fact is that the dark plumages (from chocolate brown to rufous) have been barely seen in litterature or any other references, and few have seen or are aware of those.

Cheers
all the best

Andrea Corso

However, in S Spain it should be rather easy to have cirtensis but possibly also occasionally vulpinus (tough far far more hard).

Attachments

• tailadultcirtensisbarred.JPG
    tailadultcirtensisbarred.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 93
  • cirtensisrufousmorph.jpg
    cirtensisrufousmorph.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 82
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back