• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sites for Puffins and other birds (1 Viewer)

Mari E

Japan young birder
I really want to go and see puffins along with guillimots, razorbills and other birds like fulmars, kittiwakes, shags etc. Also choughs will be nice :)

I live in Oxford and I can't travel far but at the moment I'm thinking either Skomer or South Stack. I wanted to stay overnight at Skomer however it is all full so eventhough I really wanted to see the manxies, I have to give up on that :-C

Should I stay just for a day at Skomer and stay the night in near Martin's Heaven or spend longer at South Stack? Also any chance of seeing manxies anywhere else near Skomer?

Mari,

For you in Oxford Id say Skomer is closer than South Stack on Anglesey and with the right conditions provides better views of most of the seabirds.

You need to make sure that during your visit the winds and weather are sufficiently calm to allow a crossing, otherwise you will not get over to Skomer. The worst winds are moderate to strong easterlies or north easterlies, if I recall, as it prevents a safe landing on the island itself. Skomer has all the birds you mention.

Manx Shearwaters can be seen in the evenings around the islands, especially if you have a telescope. Even in the day time you should be able to see Manxies streaming past if you look far enough out. Ofcourse the views will not be great. Another location to look out from would be St Ann's Head (which also has Chough).

There are evening cruises to see the Manxies rafting prior to returning to their nests on the islands (views close here usually), day cruises around the island seabird cliffs, and trips out to the Grassholm Gannets (again all weather dependent).

All the sailing information is here:

http://www.pembrokeshire-islands.co.uk:80/show/english/home.aspx

The walk around the Marloes area is good, the pools on the map below are a nature reserve with two hides:

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/marloes_peninsula-3.pdf

If you choose Skomer you should get to the boat at Martin's Haven in plenty of time as it can be very popular. You have to pay car park (unless National Trust member), boat fee and a landing fee on Skomer (unless Pembroke Wildlife Trust member).

Going to South Stack will provide you with opportunities to see all the species, Manxies are always passing far out to sea here as well in the Spring/Summer. The views of all seabirds will generally not be as close as on Skomer. There is also Black Guillemot around Holyhead Harbour and along the east side of Anglesey, and the tern Colony at Cemlyn Bay.

Having been to both, if you hit Skomer on the right weekend weather wise and are prepared to pay a little to do some of the boat trips, it is likely to be the more memorable option for a seabird experience.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back