• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another 1st cycle gull ID question, Riverside, CA, USA (1 Viewer)

DarkFireFalcon

Here's another bird I struggled with. No spread wing shots of this one, unfortunately. This was a beefier bird, appeared larger than the nearby California Gulls. My impression was of an American Herring Gull, but I'd like to confirm that. Specifically, I'm wondering how I'd be able to pick out a Lesser Black-backed Gull, which have begun showing up in my area in very small numbers in recent years. All 5 shots are of the same bird.

Thanks

Attachments

• odd gull 1 (1).jpg
    odd gull 1 (1).jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 124
  • odd gull 1 (2).jpg
    odd gull 1 (2).jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 106
  • odd gull 1 (3).jpg
    odd gull 1 (3).jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 51
  • odd gull 1 (4).jpg
    odd gull 1 (4).jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 71
  • odd gull 1.jpg
    odd gull 1.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 54
Pass on this one, or - given that heavy bill - perhaps Western?

For first-winter LBB, some tips to look out for:
* solidly dark tertials with just a narrow white fringe, no notching / barring
* smaller, slenderer bill than this brute
* long primary extension (roughly tertial tip to tail tip = tail tip to primary tip)
* black bill, no paler base
* underparts slightly mottled, less plain uniform colour than most N American first-winter gulls

Thanks Nutcracker.

I had considered Western Gull, but the pattern on the tertials seemed odd for that species, and despite the heavy bill, it seemed a bit small for a Western Gull, only slightly larger than the other Herring Gulls it was near.

surely not a (pure) western gull. looks best for american herring gull, but not the most typical ind., western type smithsonianus.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back