• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

suggestions needed (1 Viewer)

irene24

I went in the garden to feed the fish in the pond and found a lot of feathers , it looks as though one of the neighbourhood cats has been at it again , last week it killed a gold finsh , this time its a pigeon , can any one suggest any thing to stop the cat attacking birds when they go to the pond for a drink and a bath,
Thanks

Attachments

• 20150703_140634.jpg
    20150703_140634.jpg
    708.4 KB · Views: 60
It looks as if there are a lot of plants where a cat can hide to pounce, so you need to look where the cats are likely to do this, then either make the foliage too thick for the cat to hide and see the birds, or clear the area around the pool so the birds see the cat. Border fencing may help. You can get cat deterrents like these at the link, but I think there are always some cats are particularly bold and learn to ignore them.http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&...vptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_4v5j03wjox_b

Shotgun would do it.....

I keep one of those kids 'super soakers' by my window, scares the hell out of any cats I see and amuses me greatly.....

Contentious I know and I'm openining myself up to a barrage from cat lovers but why aren't people made to walk them like dogs and keep them in? They do untold damage to the environment not just birds but mammals and amphibians too and they crap everywhere!

People are forced to keep their dogs on a lead and clean up their mess, cat owners should be held to the same standards. Nothing against cats, just their wanton vandalism and they seem to have licence to do it with no repercussions.

Ahh, that's better, rant over.

Shotgun was a joke btw.....

Andy

Last edited:
Catch the cat - chuck it in the pond. Unlikely to do it any harm but might cause it to reconsider returning.

.... or the shotgun :)

We used to have a similar issue in our garden - which is one of the reasons we weren't getting many birds.

I kept the hose and spray attachment near to the back door (with tap open, ready). Being creatures of habit, they tended to visit at certain times so I kept an eye out... and once they were in our garden I would spray at them, causing them to bolt up and over the nearest fence!!

Soon enough, after a few times they realised it wasn't worth coming into our garden anymore. Now we don't have the problem at all. Might be worth a shot -- you need to make it uncomfortable for them!

I'm having problems again with a huge brown cat.... Tried with hose pipe, but it keeps coming... It comes early in the morning now 5 am to 6.30 - it has killed 4 blue tit chicks and a pair of gold finches and 2 blackbird chicks.... Our back garden sadly turning into a graveyard.

I really think something needs to be done about Cat ownership.:t:

It can't go now with so many declining birds.:-C

Canada they have the right way - you have to have lead on the Cat .

Last edited:
Canada they have the right way - you have to have lead on the Cat .
Really? Where? Not any place I know ... we have loose domestic cats all over the place. The feral population is probably more of a problem, though, vis-a-vis wild bird populations.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back