• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

laglaizei (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Just to open the thread on laglaizei = Léon François Laglaize as per key. I haven't checked the OD mentioned in the key but there is as well a second voyageur naturaliste called Erneste Laglaize.

If here is correct Léon collected Chalcopsitta atra spectabilis already in the year 1876. The The Eponym Dictionary of Birds shows as well no birth or death date. The Bulletin de la Société entomologique de France here shows him as:

Laglaize (Léon), natur.-voyageur, 52, rue de Paradis, Paris, 10e

So there is a chance that he died in Paris. Maybe anyone here in the forum knows more about his life (dates)?

One OD here (even if I wouldn't say it is a description). The other here or to find here. Finally syn. Casuarius unappendiculatus here

Last edited:
Martin, I have no info on the "French" collector Monsieur Léon Laglaize (Léon François Laglaize), plume-dealer, trader, etc., etc., ...

However; note:
The Swiss collector, M. Léon Laglaize, made several expeditions ... (here)
If of any relevance?

Maybe that's why he´s hard to find?

/B

Good one, good clue, Martin, made me find this one, here, written in Buenos Aires, Argentina (here)!

Apparently Léon Laglaize was still alive in; " ... July 29, 1908"

At that point he´d also been collecting in "Senegambia" (today's Senegal).

--

Last edited:
And in 1913-17 as well as in 1920 he´s listed in Bulletin de la Société entomologique de France (latter list compiled 31 December 1919) as:
* LAGLAIZE (Leon), ... A., voyageur-naturaliste, 55 rue des Petites-Écuries, Paris, 10e. Ent. gén. [here alt. here]

* = "Membre à vie" (Life Member). Member from 1887.

For the other symbol see the Introduction Liste de Membres.
--

Last edited:
I find him (or so it seems) [here], registered as a dealer (commerçant), travelling with a French passport delivered by the French consulate at Buenos Aires, having boarded the Lutetia for a crossing from Argentina to France on 27 Apr 1925.
Original document, scanned, [here] (last line, #543), with a picture, and suggesting he was born in Los Angeles, California, on 4 May [18]54.

Last edited:
Boucard (Hummingbird v. 3 1893) states that Leon Laglaize was the grandson of Pierre Lorquin French collector in Gold Rush era California. Lorquin's Admiral is a butterfly named for him.

Yes a tricky one - Couple of things I can say.

1) He was born in France.
2) He was naturalised as a US citizen in 1875 in San Fransisco (The record Laurent refers to says San Fransisco not LA).
3) He was indeed Pierre Joseph Michel Lorquin's grandson through his daughter Zoe Marie.
4) His brother was Ernest Laglaise (b.1858) mentioned in the first post
5) He spent a great deal of time in Argentina

P

Attachments

• IMG_6461.jpg
    IMG_6461.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Leon2.JPG
    Leon2.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 4
  • leon1.JPG
    leon1.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back