• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x42 SLC HD better than old 8.5x42 EL? (1 Viewer)

matt green

Norfolkman gone walkabout
OK, last Swarovski this vs this Swarovski that thread I promise but I need to know!!!

Is it worth tracking down one of the last new (or used) EL 8.5x42 or going with the latest SLC HD model?

Matt

Anyone?!!!

I'm kinda thinking the SLC might have the edge due to the HD glass but could be wrong....I'm unable to compare both at present.

Matt

FWIW I prefer the 8x42 SLC HD to the 8.5x42 SV, so I suppose it follows I would also prefer it to the EL.

FWIW I prefer the 8x42 SLC HD to the 8.5x42 SV, so I suppose it follows I would also prefer it to the EL.

Richard,

Why do you prefer the HD to the SV? Is it because of the "rolling ball" in the SV?

I can't comment on a latter day EL, only tried an early model, and I found that it had more CA than I liked (more than the 8x30 SLCNeu).

Presuming the EL uses the same updated coatings as the SLCNeu, it might buck the general trend, which from what I've seen is that despite better coatings, later model roofs have more CA than earlier ones.

Increased light transmission has been postulated as the reason for this - more light goes through, so does more CA. Sounds logical, but whether or not that's the reason remains to be proven.

Whatever the reason, I have read lots of complaints about CA in newer roofs, and therefore we now have an increasing use of ED glass in the present generation roofs, from affordable Bushnell HDs to mid-priced ZR ED2s to second tier Pentax EDs to the alpha class HDs and FLs.

Meopta is one of the few well regarded companies that has not jumped on the bandwagon despite criticisms of excessive CA and yellow color bias.

If Meopta does upgrade with ED glass and "you wonder where they yellow went" like the 8x32 model, and they can still keep their bins priced $1,000 or so under alphas, I think they could become the best alternative to alphas, which are becoming priced out of reach of many buyers.

Matt,

Ultimately, no-one but you can determine which is the best bin for you since bins, however, as I pointed out above, the 2009 EL might have mooreorless CA than the older models.

NDFarmer has both models, but is not sensitive to CA so he wouldn't be much help unless other people have compared those same two models.

If the level of CA on the 2009 EL is about the same as the 8x30 SLCNeu, CA will be less of an issue in deciding which model to buy than other factors, such as ergonomics and economics.

You could save a bundle buying a "pre-owned" 2006-2009 EL (same coatings, allegedly) vs. a brandy new SLC-HD. Presuming that money is a consideration.

If you have small hands, the full sized EL might not be comfortable for you. They are a handful and then some, but they fit my big hands better than any other roof I've tried.

The other consideration is the focuser. My big beef with Swaros (SLC and EL) is their course focusers, which are hard to turn in one direction. Some people don't report this but enough such that it seems to be the rule rather than the exception.

No biggie for a hunter, but for a birder who has to frequently focus, I found it annoying, particularly at this price point.

Not sure if they fixed this issue with the SLC HD, but if so, that could be another consideration in your decision.

Brock

Last edited:
Richard,

Why do you prefer the HD to the SV? Is it because of the "rolling ball" in the SV?

Brock

Essentially yes. I couldn't see any difference between the two models except the "rolling ball" which I found a bit off-putting. Optically they are both equally outstanding.

Slc Hd

I agree totally , i had the SVs for just over two weeks and now own a pair of SLC HDs and i honestly could not see any difference optically between the two , they are both stunning binoculars and the only reason i returned the SVs was because of the rolling ball which was totally intolerable and caused me lots of problems but i can highly recommend the SLCs they are absolutley stunning and i also saved £250 which was very nice !!!!!!!!

I agree totally , i had the SVs for just over two weeks and now own a pair of SLC HDs and i honestly could not see any difference optically between the two , they are both stunning binoculars and the only reason i returned the SVs was because of the rolling ball which was totally intolerable and caused me lots of problems but i can highly recommend the SLCs they are absolutley stunning and i also saved £250 which was very nice !!!!!!!!

The 8x42SLC-HD is going to be my next purchase thats for sure.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back