Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Tuesday 17th January 2017, 16:41   #126
jasperpatch
Amy, Brit in Quebec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM View Post
Just wait until the Spring.....you'll soon be ahead then jasperpatch.
Thanks Ken. Til then the squirrels are keeping me busy, outsmarting me at every opportunity!

Just added 11. American Crow with five flying over, closely followed by the squawks of two Northern Shrikes, arguing over who gets to stay and stalk the feeders - not many species, but plenty of drama!
Old Tuesday 17th January 2017, 16:55   #127
halftwo
Wird Batcher

At least 35 species here today - with Pink feet, Bramblings and Waxwings the highlights. Again c.100 Bramblings heading to roost this evening, & either a second flock of geese - or the same skein repeating.
And not a predator all day.
Old Tuesday 17th January 2017, 17:49   #128
KenM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperpatch View Post
Thanks Ken. Til then the squirrels are keeping me busy, outsmarting me at every opportunity!

Just added 11. American Crow with five flying over, closely followed by the squawks of two Northern Shrikes, arguing over who gets to stay and stalk the feeders - not many species, but plenty of drama!
Yes Jasper the (your squirrels are a perennial problem over here, not many effective predators, save the Goshawk (not often) and fast cars!) I have to employ a live, and let live policy,....until they transgress too often.
Old Tuesday 17th January 2017, 18:01   #129
KenM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halftwo View Post
At least 35 species here today - with Pink feet, Bramblings and Waxwings the highlights. Again c.100 Bramblings heading to roost this evening, & either a second flock of geese - or the same skein repeating.
And not a predator all day.
Have been bereft of some of my regulars so far, Grey Wag, and Wren and a complete downturn in Redwings! this month....totally unprecedented and unknown.
It's mainly Legrets, RNP's, Siskin and now more Chaffinch that's keeping the ball rolling, along with the Poeciles and Nuthatch that are providing the entertainment. As for Passer domesticus....I've got no chance this side of October.
Old Wednesday 18th January 2017, 08:03   #130
Warixenjalka

You have so much more birds than here that I'm considering to move UK (actually wherever little bit more southward). And fast before Brexit comes true...

Edit: Do you know any easy and good jobs there..?
Last lifer: Red-Footed Falcon (#410), WP ticks: 299, Finnish ticks: 239, Eco ticks: 181

https://www.flickr.com/photos/warixenjalka/sets/

Last edited by Warixenjalka : Wednesday 18th January 2017 at 08:08.
Old Wednesday 18th January 2017, 10:20   #131
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp

Job prospects in the UK for Wari, hmmm...........I think they're looking for lots of people that know how to negotiate trade agreements and they''ll probably soon be needing more customs/passport control personnel too.

A crisp -13.5C this morning, but the sunshine has encouraged three Buzzards to circle around 'mewing' away.
Shopping in Annecy tomorrow so I suppose I'll just have to go and see the Wallcreeper that is back on the chateau tower for another winter
Old Wednesday 18th January 2017, 12:21   #132
KenM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM View Post
As for Passer domesticus....I've got no chance this side of October.
.......many a true word etc.....This am after traipsing the woods on a heavy frosted day with wall to wall blue, came back for a cuppa (pleased with finding a solitary Redwing, Song Thrush and Treeper), and found a female Blackcap on my recently 'spiked' apples on my Sycamore tree, then suddenly morphing into view behind and above the latter....a male House Sparrow!! no.46.
Old Wednesday 18th January 2017, 17:19   #133
halftwo
Wird Batcher

Lots of birds singing this morning - including a mellifluous Mistle and a Song Thrush - & the Rooks have returned to the rookery too.

Just got back home to hear another lovely songster - this time a querulous hooting of a

50: Tawny Owl.

No sign of any Woodcock though.
Old Friday 20th January 2017, 16:50   #134
KenM

An absolutely incredible heavy frosted wall to wall blue day, highlighting....a flyover Grey Wagtail no.47.
Old Saturday 21st January 2017, 08:00   #135
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp

Well done Lazza and H2 on your Waxwings , hoping to see some when we visit England next week!
At least 4 different Tawny Owls audible before dawn today and some entertaining squabbles breaking out between the Goldfinches, around 30 of them here now, very messy eaters which suits the Yellowhammers as they're hoovering up what the Goldies drop. Three cracking Bullfinches paid an early visit, as did three

35 Long-tailed Tit

Still waiting for Willow Tit (which should turn up at some stage as they're resident just over a kilometre away) and Crossbill of the 'local' winterers.
Old Saturday 21st January 2017, 11:53   #136
Jos Stratford
Back again...

Just ticking away at my usual mid-winter pace ...

Flock of 7 or 8 Fieldfares added today. Flock of 11 Bullfinches too, quite nice against the snow.

19. Fieldfare

BF Supporter 2007 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 21st January 2017, 17:36   #137
jasperpatch
Amy, Brit in Quebec.

Hoorah. My Barred owl friend has returned to watch the feeders with me. Haven't heard/seen one since mid November, this one has been sat outside the dining room window for upwards of 3 hours now.

Witnessed my first successful pounce. Can't quite decide if this is a shrew or a mole from the photos, looks pretty large. Lots of tunnels under the snow so who knows what tasty treats are scurrying about down there.

Number 12 for me. Not far off my January total of 15 last year, no finch invasion thus far this year, so we'll see what the last 10 days holds.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	down the hatch (small).jpg
Views:	17
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	612407  Click image for larger version

Name:	Breakfast (small).jpg
Views:	21
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	612408  Click image for larger version

Name:	Pounce succesful (small).jpg
Views:	19
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	612409  
Old Saturday 21st January 2017, 18:46   #138
Jos Stratford
Back again...

Quote:
Hoorah. My Barred owl friend has returned to watch the feeders with me. ....
Nice!

Old Saturday 21st January 2017, 19:10   #139
T.O.

Quote:
Hoorah. My Barred owl friend has returned to watch the feeders with me. Haven't heard/seen one since mid November, this one has been sat outside the dining room window for upwards of 3 hours now.

Witnessed my first successful pounce. Can't quite decide if this is a shrew or a mole from the photos, looks pretty large. Lots of tunnels under the snow so who knows what tasty treats are scurrying about down there.

Number 12 for me. Not far off my January total of 15 last year, no finch invasion thus far this year, so we'll see what the last 10 days holds.
Definately not a mole and the short tail and slender build look good for a shrew, and I now see the head, which makes it surely a shrew.

Last edited by T.O. : Saturday 21st January 2017 at 19:13.
Old Saturday 21st January 2017, 20:26   #140
jasperpatch
Amy, Brit in Quebec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.O. View Post
Definately not a mole and the short tail and slender build look good for a shrew, and I now see the head, which makes it surely a shrew.
Thanks TO. I have frequently seen shrews dashing between holes under the feeder in previous years, but am unfamiliar with North American moles so wasn't sure. Not a star-nosed for sure (found a deceased one once, amazing creature).
Barred has moved trees but is still on the hunt out the window.
Also spotted number 13. Brown Creeper. A good day of window watching.
Old Saturday 21st January 2017, 22:30   #141
Jabberwocky

I see Jasperpatch is going for quality rather than quantity so far.

Plenty of winter thrushes here too, 7 redwing and a fieldfare today but a shortage of finches. Not had a siskin or redpoll yet and only a single brambling on new years day. Chaffinch, greenfinch and goldfinch are also down to single figure counts and no bullfinch yet. Just 1 or 2 tree sparrows too although house sparrows are doing well.

I've added 2 more to my list with the largest so far with
35 Grey Heron and the smallest with
36 Goldcrest.
Old Sunday 22nd January 2017, 00:42   #142
Paul Chapman

Number 26 today was Common Buzzard.

The interesting species from the rhine adjacent to my house are stubbornly staying on the far side of the motorway in the main. This includes the Somerset-bred first-winter Great White Egret ('AAF') which reappeared today in the cold snap. It could do the decent thing and give me a fly past at some point!

All the best

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Great Egret 03 reduced (17.01.17).jpg
Views:	22
Size:	370.1 KB
ID:	612470  

I've decided to start a self-find list as self-help to reduce my level of self-harm.
Old Sunday 22nd January 2017, 12:00   #143
joannec

A few more to add for me:

33) Canada Goose
34) Pheasant
35) Little Egret
, this is a surprise; only a few ever and this one was clearly on the move, flew over SW to escape the cold probably.
36) Green Woodpecker
37) Goldcrest
, heard this morning. Missed it last year.

Old Monday 23rd January 2017, 11:00   #144
halftwo
Wird Batcher

A beautiful male

51: Bullfinch

in the frost this morning .
Old Monday 23rd January 2017, 13:59   #145
Warixenjalka

One to add:

#14. Pheasant - one female, the first one in whole winter.

also Saturday I watch 4 (2+2) Chaffinches in my feeder. Thats biggest number of them in wintertime.
Last lifer: Red-Footed Falcon (#410), WP ticks: 299, Finnish ticks: 239, Eco ticks: 181

https://www.flickr.com/photos/warixenjalka/sets/
Old Monday 23rd January 2017, 16:13   #146
KenM

Frost and fog today, thought it might produce something, however the composition of birds was much the same as of late, albeit a visiting Muntjac toying with the fallen apples was a lift. Went out did some shopping, and upon returning heard a pure "hweet" call several times, never saw the culprit...will have to ascribe it to a rogue Grt.Tit. However whilst looking for the aforementioned.....out popped a Goldcrest. no.48.
Old Monday 23rd January 2017, 21:38   #147
Telephoto Paul

I was surprised when I opened the door this morning to the sight of a male Blackcap eating berries of the bush in my small garden.
Old Tuesday 24th January 2017, 08:11   #148
KenM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telephoto Paul View Post
I was surprised when I opened the door this morning to the sight of a male Blackcap eating berries of the bush in my small garden.
Size can be of little consequence Paul.....I regularly (during passage periods) bird very small gardens, one in particularly isolated (central London), c15' x7' shrub layer no taller than 8', surrounded by sidewalk, high rise and a few trees. One morning 6 Common Whitethroat! another morning Sedge and Reed Warbler, then Chiff Chaff and Blackcap.....but you've gotta be patient. 👍
Old Tuesday 24th January 2017, 09:00   #149
halftwo
Wird Batcher

A fabulous morning today!

In the space of less than thirty seconds the following occurred:

A strangely-coloured feral pigeon caught my eye flying down the valley, shortly followed by a pair of Goosanders. Then, close on their tails a

52: DIPPER

followed at quite some height - putting it almost at eye level from my viewing position (this only the second time I've seen a Dipper fly at any height).

Then, just as I was relating this fabulous sight to Mrs.H, a flock of Waxwing flew past close by!! (This possibly the same flock that passed the other day?)
Old Tuesday 24th January 2017, 19:18   #150
KenM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halftwo View Post
A fabulous morning today!

In the space of less than thirty seconds the following occurred:

A strangely-coloured feral pigeon caught my eye flying down the valley, shortly followed by a pair of Goosanders. Then, close on their tails a

52: DIPPER

followed at quite some height - putting it almost at eye level from my viewing position (this only the second time I've seen a Dipper fly at any height).

Then, just as I was relating this fabulous sight to Mrs.H, a flock of Waxwing flew past close by!! (This possibly the same flock that passed the other day?)
A real ''Gripper'' with the Dipper H!....I'm confident I'll not see one of those.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: