• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

marsh frogs in UK (1 Viewer)

Surreybirder

Ken Noble
Our pond has been invaded by alien marsh frogs, introduced by a neighbour :storm:

My wife just saw 'Griselda' - our name for a particularly large female - eating a smaller frog (we're not sure if it was a native frog or another alien as only the legs were still visible).

Do marsh frogs represent a threat to our native frogs and newts (which we also have)? If so, should I be clobbering them?

thanks for any advice.
Ken

Our pond has been invaded by alien marsh frogs, introduced by a neighbour :storm:

My wife just saw 'Griselda' - our name for a particularly large female - eating a smaller frog (we're not sure if it was a native frog or another alien as only the legs were still visible).

Do marsh frogs represent a threat to our native frogs and newts (which we also have)? If so, should I be clobbering them?

thanks for any advice.
Ken

Good luck dealing with Marsh Frogs, they are advancing across Surrey regardless of your neighbour's actions. I've seen and heard them at Claremont Park in the lake. Nevertheless, some action is better than none, so go right head and start eating them.

John

Not much evidence that they are a threat to native amphibians but like many frogs will eat any moving thing that fits into their mouth. Probably their populations at some sites such as Rainham + the London Wetland Centre is probably a bonus for Herons, . egrets + Grass Snakes.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back