• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scope/tripod/camera carrier? (1 Viewer)

schackdad

My Zeiss 85 arrived today...it's awesome. I'm now trying to settle on what type of protective carrier I want to lug my equipment in. I looked at a combo sling that would fit the scope and tripod, but no place for the Coolpix 4500. I got the Zeiss tripod -- it was a good deal when purchased with the scope, but it's fairly heavy. Ideally, I'd like a single sling/backpack that could handle it all while offering some protection when in the trunk. Any ideas?

Thanks.
-Rodney

Rodney, try www.warehouseexpress.com, they have a scope carrier. I decided to produce my own though as this one isnt cheap. If you want a couple of shots of the one I produced let me know. Works really well and keeps the scope well out of the way of knocks and bumps etc. very easy to make and dirt cheap.

Nigel.

teesdalebirds said:
I decided to produce my own though as this one isnt cheap. If you want a couple of shots of the one I produced let me know. Works really well and keeps the scope well out of the way of knocks and bumps etc. very easy to make and dirt cheap. Nigel.

I'm intrigued now - I would be quite interested to see what you have made to carry your scope, Nigel.

scope/tripod carrier (homemade)

Hi Diane,

Here is my tripod/scope carrier, cost £2.00 total. Old rucksack with the body cut away, fastener straps and bungee cords added. Stays on the tripod all the time, can be carried conventionally if need be, Legs can be extended whilst being worn. Its best to use a rucksack backing in which the straps are an integral part of the backing and not sewn on afterwards. Very comfortable and the scope is well out of the way. I have also carried my Canon 10D SLR and Sigma 100-300mm f4 lens on this with no problems. I am now working on another to incorporate a field guide and extra storage. It would be easier to just buy a ready made one but not half as much fun. No more knocking everything flying with the tripod when in the RSPB shop !!!

Nigel.

Attachments

• img_1194.jpg
    img_1194.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 513
Last edited:
Looks good but where do you put your sandwiches?
Actually it does look good, does it work? and why doesn't it smack you on the back of the head when you run (if you run).

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back