• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bristol/Avon Birding (1 Viewer)

We have had our share of good birds lately, what with the Cattle Egret at Chew and now the Glossy Ibis.

Anybody know if the Great Northern Diver is still knocking about at Barrow? I might pop down if it is.

Hey Everyone,

Just been reading throught the Thread.
Good to see some people on here reporting in the area.

Any of you guys go to Chew Valley Lake? I want to spend a day there soon and was wondering what are the best spots?

Not much to update from me to be honest.

In the Garden:
Bullfinch,
2 Wrens(not seen them before in the garden),
1 Collared Dove,
2 GreenFinchs,
3 Blue tits.
And the Heron that lands on the roof of the house.

Steve.

useful web site for chew...

http://www.cvlbirding.co.uk/

Taken from the access page...

The main centre for birding at Chew is Herriott's Bridge - the A368 causeway at the southern end of the lake. It's probably the best single place on the lake for birds, and you can usually find other birders here who can tell you what's been seen. Good views of Villice Bay and Heron's Green Bay can be had from the B3114 that runs down the west side of the lake, although the wacky new lay-by and cycle path makes parking a little tricky. The only other viewpoint from public roads is overlooking the north end of the lake from the minor road that runs along the main dam.

Last edited:
useful web site for chew...

http://www.cvlbirding.co.uk/

Taken from the access page...

The main centre for birding at Chew is Herriott's Bridge - the A368 causeway at the southern end of the lake. It's probably the best single place on the lake for birds, and you can usually find other birders here who can tell you what's been seen. Good views of Villice Bay and Heron's Green Bay can be had from the B3114 that runs down the west side of the lake, although the wacky new lay-by and cycle path makes parking a little tricky. The only other viewpoint from public roads is overlooking the north end of the lake from the minor road that runs along the main dam.

Bernard North hide is open to public.Park in main car park and walk up the lane along the trail,I think its called the Bittern trail.
Permits are available for other areas.

Cheddar reservoir this morning two Blacknecked Grebes and one Goldeneye by the cheddar tower.
The grebes have been around ror about three days now and look settled.

Hey Stephen P,

I see you are from Chipping Sodbury. I am from Yate.

We have some reasonable sites in CS/Yate.

Westerleigh Common is good at the moment with a wintering Water Rail and Snipe. Also plenty of Stonechats down there at the moment. If you are lucky you may see the Kingfisher that is hanging around the trees around the small lake.

PM me if you want anymore local info.

Great Northern diver reported at Cheddar reservoir today.
Also present are the RC Pochard,Blacknecked Grebes,Female Ruddy duck and some Goldeneye

Blacknecked Grebes,Great Northern Diver and Goosander at Cheddar this morning.
Also unconfirmed report of possible Greater Scaup.

Went up to Marshfield on Saturday morningto look for the flock of Brambling that have been at the playing fields. No problem finding them.

Yesterday we went to Cheddar Reservoir. I saw the Great Northern Diver, Black Necked Grebes and the flock of Goosander. Couldn't find the Greater Scaup though, probably through lack of trying as the weather was abysmal and I was nearly blown into the reservoir twice.

Hey Stephen P,

I see you are from Chipping Sodbury. I am from Yate.

We have some reasonable sites in CS/Yate.

Westerleigh Common is good at the moment with a wintering Water Rail and Snipe. Also plenty of Stonechats down there at the moment. If you are lucky you may see the Kingfisher that is hanging around the trees around the small lake.

PM me if you want anymore local info.

Hey Darren,

Thanks for the information, had no idea there was a kingfisher at Westerleigh Common, I havent been there since i was a kid.
Where abouts is the lake in Westerliegh common?

Cheers,

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

Sorry for the delay in replying. The small lake is right at the back of Westerleigh Common. The best way to approach it is to go via Westerleigh Close which is opposite Yate Station just after the Esso Garage. If you walk through the stile and along the track you will come to an opening and the lake will be in front of you. I go there most lunchtimes and saw the Kingfisher yesterday.

Kingsgate park is quite good at the mo with 2 Wigeon, 2 Tufted Duck and a female Pochard. The Great Spotted Woodpeckers are drumming every morning and there is a reasonable flock of Redwing about.

Maybe I'll see you about

Any chance someone could give me a grid ref for the pond that the ring necked duck hangs around at avonmouth sewage works?

Hi Luke,

ST531798 is the grid ref. Accessed from the A403 into Kingsweston Lane and then left onto the road to the refuse works. The small square is viewed from the road through a wire fence.

The RND commutes between here and Portbury Wharf NR ST482770. If it is not in one place it can usually be found in the other.

Hi Stephen,

Sorry for the delay in replying. The small lake is right at the back of Westerleigh Common. The best way to approach it is to go via Westerleigh Close which is opposite Yate Station just after the Esso Garage. If you walk through the stile and along the track you will come to an opening and the lake will be in front of you. I go there most lunchtimes and saw the Kingfisher yesterday.

Kingsgate park is quite good at the mo with 2 Wigeon, 2 Tufted Duck and a female Pochard. The Great Spotted Woodpeckers are drumming every morning and there is a reasonable flock of Redwing about.

Maybe I'll see you about

Cheers Darren,

Sorry i took so long to reply aswell. Thats brilliant he's still around.
What is the area like around the lake? is it clean?
Only reason i ask is, i remember going down to there and there was a quite a bit rubbish about. But i have heard the whole area has been cleaned up.

Im still wanting to go up to Wapley Woods to see the Great Spotted Woodpecker.

My parents had a Green Woodpecker the other day which was great and the Goldfinches are in strong form lately

stephen

Hi Stephen,

Great Spotted Woodpecker is easy every morning in Kingsgate Park. I hear them drumming at around 8am .

Westerleigh common is ok. The area I refer is the back along the railway line. It has the small lake and the woodland. I have recorded some good birds ie Spotted Flycatcher, Jack Snipe, Hobby and Whinchat.

Any interesting updates then guys?

Having seen much lately as i cant walk! but the Green Woodpecker is back out the front of my house.

Steve

Hi All

had pretty good day a work today with seeing the green woodpecker that hangs around im glad i found the Bristol thead im pretty surprised that there isnt more responce to this

i go out most weekends birding ,so will keep you updated with what i see

Not much going on for the last few days as the weather is so great:)

hopefully the weather will be better at the weekend ,off to the birdfair on sunday cany wait

Can i just ask guys why are the posts on this thread so few and far between ?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back