• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bristol/Avon Birding (2 Viewers)

Glad someones regularly doing Portbury Wharf, and nice to see some piccies of it. Looking forward to birding the place again when we get back to blighty in April. And casually checking the bay from that pub garden on the hill too.

Hi Lazza nice to hear from you dude, yes i still bird the place from time to time.
Had a good bit of luck the other day saw a Common Crane flying up the river at Aust bit of a good record for the county i rekon!!
Ps the pub idea sounds grand!

It's the pub on the hill at the south end of the bay, from where you can look right along in the direction of the mouth of the Avon. Let's all have a pint there one time!? Had a fly-by Med from there once, let's beat that ;)

It's the pub on the hill at the south end of the bay, from where you can look right along in the direction of the mouth of the Avon. Let's all have a pint there one time!? Had a fly-by Med from there once, let's beat that ;)

That'll be the Royal Hotel (not to be confused with the Oak!). They serve Butcombe too. You can't get that down the High Street.

Silly question about Chew Valley Lake and using all the hides. The website say permits are obtained only if you can show you're a member of a recognised local of national birdwatching organisation. RSPB, WWT and BTO membership will be fine, right?

Last edited:
Get yerself down there. Lesser Scaup,Ferruginous Duck,Green Sandpiper and a couple of Little Gulls seen today

I'm going to be doing some birding down there at some point during the week (probably between Thursday and Saturday). Just wondering, based on reports of the Ferruginous Duck and Lesser Scaup, would there be agood chance of seeing both birds from the road if they have been mostly seen off areas such as Stratford Bay and Herriot's Pool? Despite being an avid birder I'm not actually a member of any of the major birding organizations so I presumes that means I won't be able to get a permit to the hides. Hopefully the fact I can't get a permit will not mean that I have no chance at all either two species. Where have they been mostly seen? And when the official site says you are expected to be part of a major birding organization, does it mean that you must or can you get a permit without being a member of one of the organizations?

If you can give me any information on the above that would be much appreciated,

Joseph

Last edited:
Hi Joseph,

I probably shouldn't be saying this, and I haven't been to Chew for more than 2 years, but unless things have changed dramatically you would be very unlikely to be "checked" while visiting any of the hides. Hopefully someone more currently local could confirm this though.

Good luck.

I'm not actually a member of any of the major birding organizations so I presumes that means I won't be able to get a permit to the hides.

Begging the question of why you're not a member of at least one organisation, you shouldn't have any trouble getting a permit. I probably shouldn't say this but I didn't produce any membership cards to get my permit. Perhaps the binoculars were good enough.

Hobbies in the Bristol Area

My local patch is Yate and Chipping Sodbury which are two towns just outside of Bristol.

The area is mainly residential but there are a few wild areas that I visit everyday in my lunch hour these being Wapley Bushes LNR and Westerleigh Common.

I have had some good birds visit and today was especially good with a Hobby hawking Dragonflies over a flooded field en route to Wapley Bushes.

I also had Common and Lesser Whitethroats, A family party of 4 Green Woodpecker, GS Woodpecker and a Jay.

Good birds in the past have been

Hawfinches
Spotted Flycatcher
Jack Snipe
Garden Warbler

On the Bristol/Avon front I went to Marshfield on Saturday looking for Quail but no joy again. Good number of Corn Bunting and Yellowhammer and a party of 4 Red Legged Partridge

I went to Severn Beach hoping for Sanderling or Yellow Wagtail to push my yearlist to 200 but didn't find either.

I did see loads of Turnstones and Dunlin a few Redshank and Curlew. I heard a Whimbrel but could not locate it

Any other local birders who would like to post sightings, please do so, it is quiet at the moment but a thread like this may have it's uses come the Autumn
Darren

Can you tell me whether or not Hobbies nest regularly at Ingleside Common? Seems to me that there are regular sightings there.

Suprisingly, relating to Hobby, I was told only on Sunday 1st August, whilst taking the wife and my 1 year old son out for a day at Avon Valley Recreation Park off of the A4, that for the past 4 years there was a pair regularly breeding at that site down by the river! Only thing is, they haven't returned this year - just the year I had to find out! The falconer there informed me that the birds regularly attacked his Kestrel which he uses for the displays! He (and I of course) hope they'll return next year.

Obviously, living in Hanham only 4 miles away, this was sad news for me as they are amongst my favourite of birds. Do you know of any good locations - Ingleside maybe? I have been down there a few times in search of the nightingales but without success.

Severn beach seawatching

Top seawatching conditions predicted for Severn Beach this Thurs and Fri (per the Severnside Birds website). Be interesting to see what turns up.....

Top seawatching conditions predicted for Severn Beach this Thurs and Fri (per the Severnside Birds website). Be interesting to see what turns up.....

Hey Larry, any suggestions or tips where to have a look on Sunday as planning my first trip locally?
Many Thanks

Darren

Hi Darren,

I think the winds are supposed to have died down by Sunday so seawatching at Severn Beach my be quiet.

Are you new to the area ?

Chew Valley Lake might be worth a look. Sightings posted here

http://www.cvlbirding.co.uk/

You need a permit to enter most of the hides. But plenty of birds about from Herriots Bridge and Herons Green. There is a map on the site.

Looks like a few bits and bobs turned up with a Bonxie and Arctic Skua at Severn Beach and a decent flock of Kittiwakes. Still blowing so still a chance of another Giga petrel !!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back