• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Has digital photography changed how we see birds? (1 Viewer)

Advances in manufacturing technology has impacted myself, beyond digital technology. The porro prism binos I carry now, are one third the weight of the ancient pair of roof prisms given as a gift, years ago. Combined with digital tech, makes for light weight travelling. Now that I've advanced thrice the age since beginning, it has resulted in the scope staying home. Still bring along my trusty space pen, that is alleged to have the ability to allow notes under water and inverted

I notice that I rarely now take notes and almost never do sketches, 6 years ago when I found a local yellow-browed warbler, I took extensive notes and did some rough sketches to ensure is was not Hume's Leaf or Pallas. At that time I often used my sketches to do some occasional paintings. More recently after finding a Pallas's Warbler (luckily saw the rump and nailed it on first viewing), I then spent the next few minutes unsuccessfully trying to get a photo rather than observing and enjoying the bird. I didn't even report the second bird as I had no notes, drawings or photos.

I take notes every so often but it is more 'less often' than often. I like to take photos but recently (past year or so) fallen in love with a slower pace associated with just using the binos.

As you stated "I then spent the next few minutes unsuccessfully trying to get a photo rather than observing and enjoying the bird. " This is where I found myself often. The bird would be in front of me and instead of observing the bird, I spent the time configuring the camera settings etc...hence, my recent move to a slower pace as I bird with just my binos, or scope...

The second, in which consensus seems more distant, concerns whether or not birders' behaviours and skills are being adversely affected by the easy availability of digital pictures. The voices on here so far include some who have recently started birding and are definitely using digital photos as a substitute for learning: these people should have a field guide in their pocket and be spending effort on combining its information with their observations. The frozen moments in photographs will not teach them about tail pumping, wing-flicking, the bouncing walk of a Jack Snipe and so on. The absence of scale from photographs will not teach them that a Barred Warbler is massive while a Garden Warbler is not. One or two posters have definitely indicated that they are after a tick rather than birdwatching as I understand it.
John

Higlight "are definitely using digital photos as a substitute for learning".

Maybe a very few, and it doesn't sound like they are all beginners. The vast majority seem to be using bird photography as just another tool to speed the learning process and enhance their enjoyment. Learning is speeded by the amount of time you spend observing the bird. While you are trying to get a decent photo, you are observing the bird, you do see the mannerisms (tail flicks or whatever), the way it is moving or flying, you have to take account of these to get your photo. In other words, you are learning the jizz.

I will admit to be an "early adopter" of bird photography as an aid to id. I am colour blind, but when I was young was fortunate that I managed to afford a decent camera and a second hand cheapish 500 (mirror) lens. I started taking photos so that I could refer them back to someone who was not colour blind for help. The field guides were not written for me, what was the use of "olive green to khaki" when the bird looked brown ? So I only learnt the difficult ones with help. Unfortunately I wasn't wised up to calls, but that might partly have been the fact that the guides descriptions of the calls are written in a form which is pretty opaque to me, and the fact that no-one I knew considered the calls.

I have never listed as a personal interest, only record systematically for survey/ringing. I don't see records as worth the effort unless they are submitted to be used as part of a scientific study. So, I am not photographing to prop up my list, I am photographing still to help my (and my wife's) learning. We do this with all sorts of wildlife - invertebrates, flowers, mammals ... We often carry a bird and/or flower guide, but not a library for all
taxa. We do consider what we see in the field, but still, especially in foreign parts, often find the photos invaluable confirmation or correction. Having a first id confirmed is essential before one can go on and become familiar with that bird, able to id confidently. Photography is one of the tools that speeds that process.

The same can be said of song recordings. We can now carry an mp3 player and listen to calls in the field, speed the learning process for new birds. This has been very beneficial for skulkers. We learned to recognize nightingale song very quickly, not sure we have ever had a really good view (except in the hand). Sub-alpine warbler was another, but one day we came across one that preferred to sit on the top of a particular bush to sing, and seemed very settled while being photographed.

Yes, technology has changed the way we bird ... and has sped our learning process, not substituted for it.

Mike.

P.S. I tend to use the bins before I photograph ... the boss thinks I should photo first as she is getting the view through her bins anyway. Of course I sometimes don't get a photo at all !

After a traumatic experience in 1992 with 3 friends when we found 2 rare birds in one day but had them both rejected I bought a small camcorder (which would have easily recorded the birds). I resolved to carry this camera with me every time I went birding just in case. The camera I now carry is a Panasonic FZ200, an amazing piece of kit, and yes, carrying a camera has changed the way I bird. I rarely carry a scope these days and I have a habit of taking a photo of any unusual bird I see even though I know the result will be rubbish. The camera comes in handy at the local waste disposal site, though. I take a series of pictures of all the gulls and scan through them on the computer looking for any oddities. Last winter I found (on the computer) the Iceland Gull that had been eluding me for weeks. It wasn't as good as seeing it for real though. I sympathise with Citrinella. I too am colour blind and it can be a pain, especially in exotic locations where you don't know what colour the birds are supposed to be. Guides saying 'just under the red flowers' doesn't help either.

Last winter I found (on the computer) the Iceland Gull that had been eluding me for weeks. It wasn't as good as seeing it for real though.

Interesting ... did you 'tick' it?

I find carrying a camera actually interferes with my birding. Although I have an excellent mirrorless Panasonic G3 with a 100-300 (=20-600) telephoto I rarely use it in the UK. It does get used when in Spain, but even then mainly to photograph birds from the terrace rather than when I'm birding,

I did that once with a group of little egrets. When I looked at the photo on the computer there was a cattle egret there which I hadn't noticed. On the subject of note taking I used to take copious notes on rares but haven't taken any since I got a camera.

Ten years ago, a few months after I started digiscoping a white-winged black tern called into our local reserve. It stayed a couple of months, moulting from breeding plumage to non-breeding while it was there.

I photographed it in poor light on its first day, getting awful shots and I went down the next day in the sun to get some more as it rested with other terns.

It wasn't until I got home that I saw what I had.

There can't be many photos around of a white-winged tern sitting next to a roseate.

Attachments

• White-Winged-Black-Tern-20-web.jpg
    White-Winged-Black-Tern-20-web.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 69
Following a couple of comments on here, I have been considering the influence of sound on the way I bird. I tend to use calls to avoid looking at common birds as well as to cue me onto unusual stuff. Calls also allow me to track elusive birds as they move through cover and be sure I am following the right bird.

Last Tuesday I was in Norfolk watching a Siberian Stonechat at Wells-next-the-Sea when a Red-throated Pipit called twice, fairly high overhead. I looked up but didn't get on it (not unusual) and it didn't call again, so it didn't seem worth mentioning to anyone, particularly since my companion had registered it independently. There's also no point sending in a record as BBRC have had a policy of rejecting heard only RtPs for years.

So I can use sound to ease my birding workload, increase the species I can record and aid my photography. Unfortunately I entirely agree with Mike (citrinella) when he says that sound doesn't translate well to the printed page: one man's hweet is another's hooweet and so on. I don't do MP3 and phone birding apps and its taken me 30 years to get to the point I'm at now: its dead difficult to pass on though, not least because the little horrors always shut up when I'm trying to get someone to listen to a particular call!

Its also something you'll never pick up from a photo and to be honest a lot of recordings sound a bit tinny to me. In the field is best. Hear the bird, track it down, figure it out - live happily ever after taking pictures while not missing anything.

John

I know people... and I'm close to joining them, who record all the time they are birding. Then if they do hear a goodie, they have it recorded. Sonagrams are actually a lot more use than photographs in a whole range of circumstances.

I know people... and I'm close to joining them, who record all the time they are birding. Then if they do hear a goodie, they have it recorded. Sonagrams are actually a lot more use than photographs in a whole range of circumstances.

Its probably better if the sound of me birding isn't recorded. ;)

John

Its probably better if the sound of me birding isn't recorded. ;)

John

You can edit out the swearing and bodily noises afterwards! I've just got fed up of failing to get acceptable evidence on calling fly-overs. Handy for field notes without taking your eye of the bird too. For about £25 you can get something with a wired or wireless microphone that can sit in your pocket and record 10 hours worth of birding.

I've made myself a parabolic reflector (which doubles as an umbrella because it is one)

http://www.bambooturtle.us/ParabolicMicrophone.html

I just left the handle on mine.

I once filmed a training exercise and had left the mic on without knowing and all that could be heard was me chewing on a bag of American hard gums for nearly an hour.Not pretty at all....Eddy

I was a keen amateur photographer long before I discovered birding so when I started going out in the field carrying a camera was a no-brainer - it would be unthinkable to be out and about without one.

I'd like to think that this doesn't make me any less of a birder - my first move when I see a bird is always to my bins, and the camera is secondary - but I have taken lots of shots which have enhanced my birding knowledge quickly (important at my time of life!) by enabling me to obtain ids or confirmations via these forums.

But to me there is an additional bonus to being a photographer/birder. By taking pictures as I wander along I can look back at them later and recreate that walk, and the pleasure it gave me, many times over. That to me is hugely important - enjoyment of great times can be had again long after the actual experience.

But to me there is an additional bonus to being a photographer/birder. By taking pictures as I wander along I can look back at them later and recreate that walk, and the pleasure it gave me, many times over. That to me is hugely important - enjoyment of great times can be had again long after the actual experience.

Hear hear. I feel that particularly since my birder mother began the descent into Alzheimer's dementia - I really fear memory loss, and things that prompt memory are now much more important to me as a hedge against the future.

John

How would the note takers respond whe I remind them that
"a picture says more than a thousand words" ?

Now, I know many of you can make excellent sketches, but many of us simply cannot.

It is a bit like the calls thing too - writing a description of a call is totally subjective and I find most of the classic descriptions incomprehensible*. Descriptions of birds are a bit subjective too - comparative words are often used such as "bright", "long", "round". As for colour, as I said I am colour blind (like about 8% of UK male population).

I am not saying that taking notes is not very valuable, as it makes you look closely, observe properly and probably methodically, all part of improving your scientific method, but in this world of improved optics it seems illogical to knock their use. About as logical as knocking people who use top quality scopes - which were not available to ordinary birders just a few decades ago either - and even bins have improved enormously.

Mike.

* As an aside, easily the most recognizable description to me is "little bit of bread and NOOO cheese", yet I find "jangling keys" about the worst - corn bunting sounds to me like a yellowhammer with no rhythm, though the species I am most likely to have to consciously separate it from is serin.

How would the note takers respond whe I remind them that
"a picture says more than a thousand words" ?

Now, I know many of you can make excellent sketches, but many of us simply cannot.

It is a bit like the calls thing too - writing a description of a call is totally subjective and I find most of the classic descriptions incomprehensible*. Descriptions of birds are a bit subjective too - comparative words are often used such as "bright", "long", "round". As for colour, as I said I am colour blind (like about 8% of UK male population).

I am not saying that taking notes is not very valuable, as it makes you look closely, observe properly and probably methodically, all part of improving your scientific method, but in this world of improved optics it seems illogical to knock their use. About as logical as knocking people who use top quality scopes - which were not available to ordinary birders just a few decades ago either - and even bins have improved enormously.

Mike.

* As an aside, easily the most recognizable description to me is "little bit of bread and NOOO cheese", yet I find "jangling keys" about the worst - corn bunting sounds to me like a yellowhammer with no rhythm, though the species I am most likely to have to consciously separate it from is serin.

I wholeheartedly agree with you Mike, most 5 year olds probably draw better than I do and the descriptions for bird sounds might as well be in Serbocroat or any other language I don't speak. Maybe the modern birder relies on technology more, but the accuracy must be greater. One of the experts on here, Jane Turner, is turning it into a science with some unbelievably clever measurement applications, to a far greater extent that was possible from glimses or even a long, continuous observation in the field. Its what the modern birder is growing up with, and some like Jane, are adapting to. It doesn't mean its a bad thing. Similarly if some of the older birders with their style of birding, could perhaps be a little less Luddite or elitist, they could pass a great deal of knowledge on to the less experienced amongst us. Who knows, they may even feel good about it. Sure, there are people who are obnoxious with their cameras or have all the gear and no idea, but these people have always existed and always will. Many of us have the same ideals, but our methods don't have to be the same. It would be a pretty dull world if we were.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back