• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trying to decide which 8x32 (1 Viewer)

Fastlane

I started searching for a pair of used SLC MKII 8x30 to replace a pair I sold, but have had no luck. Now, I'm researching the purchase of some new 8x32 binoculars, but live in a small town where there are no dealers for the ones I am considering.
My current considerations are:
Swarovski EL 8x32
Leica Ultravid 8x32

In the early 90s, I got the pair of SLC MKII 8x30 and, in 2001, early production of the EL 10x42. Someone talked me out of the SLC and I have since regretted selling them. The EL was better optically, but I didn't like the long focus adjustment or larger size and ended up selling the EL last year.

A couple of days ago, I went to a city and visited two optics dealers. The first store had the EL 10x32, but no 8x. The second place had Ultravid 10x42, but their last 8x32 had sold the day before. I wasn't able to see any that were on my list and nobody had Zeiss. I like the EL 10x32 size, so I know what to expect from the 8x32. The Ultravid 10x42 are optically superb and I liked the comfort of the eyecups. The Ultravid 8x32 is shorter than the EL, but I don't think that would be a problem (I might even prefer it).

I've looked through the archives and recent posts, but also welcome any comments or suggestions from the forum.

Last edited:
Be sure to check out the Nikon Venturer/Premier/LX 8x32's. IMHO, they're one of the very best 8x32's made. For whatever it's worth, John Barnsness, author of the book "Optics for the Hunter", rates the Nikon 8x32's above the EL 8x32's, and at least equal to the Ultravid 8x32's. The newer Nikon 8x32 LXL's can be had brand new for $699.99 from Cameraland New York, where you'd probably pay twice that for the Leica's or Swarovski's...

Not quite on topic. . . but you might consider the Trinovid 8x32. Fantastic binocs, and there might be some deals out there on them now.

Bill

Count me among those who find the 32mm EL's much less optically successfull than the 42mm's. In a direct comparison between the Zeiss 8x32FL and the Swarovski 8x32 EL I found the Zeiss brighter, higher contrast, more color neutral and sharper, both on axis and off axis.

expanded short list

Thank you all for the responses so far.
Others on the short list are the Zeiss FL 8x32, Nikon Premier 8x32, Swarovski SLC & SLCnew 8x30. On paper the Nikons are heavier, but how they feel in the hand I do not know. The SLC and SLCnew are probably the most similar to the SLC MKII because of the front focus.
Henry, Does that comparison with the Zeiss put the EL 32mm about on par with the SLC optically?

Last edited:
8x30 SLC and 8x32 EL

Fastlane said:
Thank you all for the responses so far.
Others on the short list are the Zeiss FL 8x32, Nikon Premier 8x32, Swarovski SLC & SLCnew 8x30. On paper the Nikons are heavier, but how they feel in the hand I do not know. The SLC and SLCnew are probably the most similar to the SLC MKII because of the front focus.
Henry, Does that comparison with the Zeiss put the EL 32mm about on par with the SLC optically?

I have both and find the EL superior in every way; wider, sharper field, better ergonomics, much closer focus. I never could get used to the location of the focus knob. I alternate between using the 8x32 EL and Nikon 8x42 HG which are my two favorites. The HG is definately heavy but superbly balanced. I'm thinking of selling my SLC.
Len

I decided to buy the Leica Ultravid 8x32 with the option to return it, but they were out of stock for 2-3 weeks. The SLCnew 8x30 was also out of stock, so I got a discounted pair of "old" SLC 8x30. This will give me some time to compare the higher end models side by side.
Thank you all for taking the time to respond.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back