• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spiders at the canopy Tower (1 Viewer)

Iceberg slim

Fly by night
United Kingdom
They probably are not rare,but they look good,any ID please,found around the Canopy Tower in Panama

Attachments

• panama-05-062-SPID2.jpg
    panama-05-062-SPID2.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 180
  • panama-05..2-052SPID3.jpg
    panama-05..2-052SPID3.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 181
  • DSCN0107spid-4.jpg
    DSCN0107spid-4.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 158
RE: Spiders in Panama

Hola Martin:

Seems like you had a good time in Panama.

About your Panamanian spiders...I only knew the middle one which is one of the
common ones we encounter in the rainforest.
It is called Nephila clavipes or "Golden orb (silk) spider"

For the other ones I had to check with a colleague of mine Alsonso Santos at the University of Panama.

The first spider is called Argiope argentata or "Silver Argiope"

The third one is another Argiope spider, but he was not able to identify it to species level because we needed a ventral view. There are 4 possible species, and they are all very similar.

Hope you find this information useful and don't hesitate contacting me if you have any questions about Panama and our wildlife.

Warm regards,

Guido

Guido C. Berguido
Biologist - Operations
Advantage Tours Panama
"Adventures in nature with the local Advantage"

P.O. Box 69, Balboa
Republic of Panama
Tel. 011-507-6676-2466
fax: 011-507-221-9246
e.mail: [email protected]
web: www.advantagepanama.com

Hey Guido
Thanks for your replies much appreciated,i had the the most fantastic time in panama,you have a truly Beautiful country,and to a European like me,we have to travel great distances to see the rainforests that abound,never take them for granted..i do hope to go back soon.

Cheers Martin

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back