• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BIRDFAIR 2010 - Egleton Nature Reserve, Rutland (1 Viewer)

If anybody sees a tall (6' 4" - 195 cm), large, balding bloke with a beard and ponytail then say 'Hi'. It'll be me or a hairy biker.

always find that everyone is after your money at the birdfair! Great place to test out optics. The art stuff is always good (got too many paintings!) bookstores good (got too many books). Being seen with the great a the good of the birding world (does not float my boat!). Good place to catch up will people and talk b*****cks and drink tea and eat cake!:cat:

Well I'm sure many know my mug by now but otheriwse hang round the catering marquee sort of around 1ish I'd say and if you see anyone you recognise there's a good chance they'll be with other BF members.

Otherwise I might wear a giant BF car sticker on my person somewhere, that shouldn't be hard to miss, especially as it'll read back to front. LOL! ;)

Wow, so many people will be there on Friday... I'll need so much time to play Sherlock Holmes after BF members that I won't have time to see the stands!!! :-O

But I don't mind, I just want to enjoy the Fair however it is!!! :bounce:

Jaff said:
and if you see anyone you recognise there's a good chance they'll be with other BF members.

That's very true, and will be very helpful! :t:

Any other people appearing on Friday?

Jaff, I want your mug on a t-shirt! :king:

Well you've got enough pictures of me, do it yourself! 8-P
But it must read Jaff Appreciation Society underneath. o:D

I think this year must be the biggest Birdfair yet, don't recall us ever reaching no.7 with the marquees before, not to mention all the rest. Certainly will be a lot to try and cram in just one day.

Hio all,

I will be visiting my first British Bird Fair next month with delegates from Sabah Tourism Board at Marquee 5, Stand No. 26. o:D

Anyone needs to know more about Sabah, Borneo, meet me there and hope can meet other BF members too heheheh :king:

Can anyone show me the British Robin there ? ;)

Enjoy the Birdfair:t:

Well you've got enough pictures of me, do it yourself! 8-P
But it must read Jaff Appreciation Society underneath. o:D

I think this year must be the biggest Birdfair yet, don't recall us ever reaching no.7 with the marquees before, not to mention all the rest. Certainly will be a lot to try and cram in just one day.

That's why I always go for two days!!!!! Wish I had booked to stay somewhere now though! You have to book a year in advance!!! Will be travelling there/back each day,

For those who aren't consumed by shopping, celebrity hunting (or BF member hunting!) ;), then do remember to check out the smaller lecture marquees as well ... Some interesting stuff (imo!) I've picked out below but there's lots more ... and don't forget to do squeeze in a few hours birding - your Birdfair day ticket will give you full access around the Reserve!

FRIDAY LECTURES
13.00 - 13.20 -Marquee 2
Mark Constantine
The re-discovery of the Brown Fish Owl
The Brown Owl is an endangered bird and was thought extinct in Europe until Mark Constantine sent Sound Approach member Arnoud van den Berg to Turkey to find it..

15.00 - 15.20 -Marquee 2
Paul Donald
Preventing Africa's first bird extinction: the Birdfair and the Liben Lark
The Liben Lark of southern Ethiopia is one of Africa's, and the world's, rarest birds and there are real fears that it is heading towards extinction. RSPB international researcher Paul Donald explains how the money raised by the 2010 Birdfair will help to prevent this..

15.30 - 15.50 -Marquee 1
Jeff Knott
Wildlife Crime Fighters – A Year On
At Birdfair 2009, over 6,000 people signed up as “wildlife crime fighters” asking for more to be done to help tackle wildlife crime. Find out how the Birdfair voice helped to strengthen wildlife crime enforcement and the challenges we still face..

15.30 - 15.50 -Marquee 2
Nicola Crockford
The Quest for the Slender-billed Curlew
The 2009 Birdfair Lost Species Fund contributed to the 'last push' to find the Slender-billed Curlew across Europe, North Africa and the Middle East during 2009-2010. This talk reports on the outcomes of the search..

16.30 - 16.50 -Marquee 2
Mark Holling
Rare breeding birds in Britain
Mark will explain how the Rare Breeding Birds Panel collates data on the rarest breeding birds in Britain and that it is not a secret society! He will give some examples of species expanding and declining using the most recent figures available, and describe how birdwatchers can become more involved..

SATURDAY
10.00 - 10.20 -Marquee 2
Lars Lachmann
Saving Poland’s Biebrza Marshes: BirdLife’s action is showing results
Poland's Biebrza Valley is one of Europe's top birding destinations and home to 20% of the world's Aquatic Warblers, Europe's rarest migratory songbird. Find out how RSPB and its Polish BirdLife partner OTOP managed to stop the habitat from overgrowing, and how Aquatic Warblers as well as local people benefit from this..

HI Steve

look forward to meeting you on the Kenya stand, m 6. Young Joseph sends his regards

Mike

I will be around all three days.

Saturday and Sunday I am doing shifts on the LROS stand which is apparently in between Naturetrek and Birdwatching Magazine this year.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back