• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fishing hooks in Black-headed Gull (1 Viewer)

any particular reason.

or is it that all fishermen are thoughtless morons that throw all their line all over the place and have absolutely no regard for anything but them selves

Well as a one time angler and someone who spends a bit of time by lakes and ponds I say this. At EVERY lake and pond and along EVERY shore where people fish there are loads and loads of line, weights, hooks and general rubbish. This is not just a bit of stuff it is a major problem wherever there are fishermen. Now someone is throwing all this stuff around and I'm assuming that non fishermen are not doing it. So...? Who would you say was doing it?
In instances like this one can never say "All fishermen", it would be stupid to do so. But from the state of the riverbanks, ponds, lakes and shores, it would certainly seem like it was the majority.

and as a lifelong fisherman i'm sick of cleaning it up. after the idiots that leave it behind. but it's not always the case that it's the anglers fault. i personally would never discard line.

to the point where when i strip a reel it gets cut up into 1 inch long pieces when i've finished. then bagged and disposed of.
i've been chest deep in lakes attempting to get lost line back but there's just some times you can't do anything about losing some.

and as a lifelong fisherman i'm sick of cleaning it up. after the idiots that leave it behind. but it's not always the case that it's the anglers fault. i personally would never discard line.

to the point where when i strip a reel it gets cut up into 1 inch long pieces when i've finished. then bagged and disposed of.
i've been chest deep in lakes attempting to get lost line back but there's just some times you can't do anything about losing some.

I agree there are times when you cannot retrieve line. But the line I was talking about is usually on the bank in a big ball or wrapped around a bush by the peg. Hope you don't mind me applauding you for doing your bit to reduce it.

I agree there are times when you cannot retrieve line. But the line I was talking about is usually on the bank in a big ball or wrapped around a bush by the peg. Hope you don't mind me applauding you for doing your bit to reduce it.

any i find like that comes home with me and gets binned after being cut up. i know a lot of other anglers who hate it too. i know a few who take a black bin liner to the river with them and any rubbish they find goes home in it. we're not all bad.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back