• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Joint Thread (2 Viewers)

Today's painting is of a vermillion flycatcher... The bird in this painting is smaller than a penny! B :)

Attachments

• Vermillion Flycatcher.jpg
    Vermillion Flycatcher.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 78
Wow - fabulous collection of work recently:
In order, Paschalis - stupendous drawings, parhaps some of your very best. Really lovely. When you say they are preliminary drawings, does that mean they will be coloured, or are they layouts (elaborate, though they are)?
Love the kes, Mike and a fascinating insight to your approach. Get this one finished and posted - looking forward eagerly!
Excellent work Steve. The original drawing is beautiful - really good! I don't think fiddling with the water would be a good idea looking at the paper you're working on. I'd leave this (personally speaking, of course - you can do whatever you wish with your own work ;) ) and reflect on the successes, which are many. Perhaps the next one you approach with similar habitat, I suggest you get some really good reference (photos would be good) and look at the tonal quality of mud - it actually refelcts a heck of a lot of light and where pools of water collect, be sure to make them lie 'flat' on the ground. If you aren't sure what I mean - I'll try and post some visuals. Great stuff and look forward to the next one!

Tim I owe you an answer!
Yes they are the layouts indeed!

Few words now to the drawings-three of them are based on detailed field sketches, while the other two on my own video footage.
Forget the quality but I had the shape!
In addition a latest submission of mine regarding an Illustration for a Children book, unfortunately rejected from publishing house, but I know I have to keep trying!
Here it is the mentioned fieldwork, and many thanks once again for the motivation!!

Paschalis

Attachments

• Corn bunting.jpg
    Corn bunting.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 77
  • Jackdaw.jpg
    Jackdaw.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 68
  • Kestrel.jpg
    Kestrel.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 68
  • Wolf Bild.2.jpg
    Wolf Bild.2.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 85
Peter-I'm just going to be crude here...Holycrapaliscious!

Paschalis-I will spare you the crudeness. Absolutely stunning. What in the world was the children's book about?

A diving blue-footed booby. I'm sure you can think of some funny stuff for this one!!:-O

Attachments

• Diving Blue-Footed Booby.jpg
    Diving Blue-Footed Booby.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 77
When my brother came back from his first year at college he had an expression that seems so appropriate for this latest piece..."Tits!"

More fantastic work Peter. My only criticism would be it's a shame it's not bigger, I prefer bigger boobies.... (Sorry, but if I didn't do it somebody else would!)

I've finshed the kessy and moved on to a barn owl in flight. I'm off work for a couple of days so I can't post them yet but will do soonest.

Mike

as this thread moves so quickly, I'll just have to say that everything on here these past few days is an inspiration and impressive - I promise to be more attentive and post better comments in the future!

Managed to get an afternoon at the local wetlands reserve today. Lots of our usual birds around and something not so usual for South Wales- a Spoonbill, European we were told. Quite exciting because I've not seen one before. Did some digiscoping and drew a few quick studies from the screen just now using a watersoluble graphite pencil. Just don't have the time to much more at the moment|8(|

Attachments

• Spoonbill1.jpg
    Spoonbill1.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 60
  • Spoonbill2.jpg
    Spoonbill2.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 75
  • IGreenshank.jpg
    IGreenshank.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 64
  • Lapwing1.jpg
    Lapwing1.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 59
  • Lapwing2.jpg
    Lapwing2.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 61
Wow!! Those are fantastic drawings! I reallylike the one with the rock and the reflection. Great story about the spoon bill too. How exciting!

I had some misgivings about the dark arch that circled from under the birds neck. It almost looked like it made a deformed wing so I did a little 'wrestling' and cleaned it up a bit...

Attachments

• Galapagos Hawk.jpg
    Galapagos Hawk.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 70
Peter - the hawk is a beauty, love the pose and the composition. I didn't notice the dark arch at first, but you made the right decision to change it (not that we'd have noticed if you hadn't)

Wendy - more damn fine work here, hope you'l find the time to work some of them up into paintings and well done on the spoonbill, I've only seen one, in South Wales too, 12 years ago now!

Peter-amazatorific! And like Nick said, wouldn't have noticed the arch, but it looks a bunch better changed.

Wendy-I also love the one with the reflection. Nice work and yay on the spoonbill!

Some truly lovely drawings Wendy - the spoonbill is perfect and the first of the lappy sketches has a beautifully soft quality of light - exeptional.
Love the hawk painting Peter - you really are a master of values, the light in the piece is so believeble.

Wendy , these are great, I particularly like the greenshank standing proud above the others as King of the castle!

Peter, it's funny how you only notice these things when they are pointed out to you, I just thought 'he's done it again!' and didn't think about the 'dark arch' at all.

I finished the kes off the other day so here she is. I've also completed a little 5"x4" flight study of a barn owl which I'm thinking of putting into a larger 'bird in a landscape' painting.

Mike

Attachments

• kespostfin.jpg
    kespostfin.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 71
  • flybarnie.jpg
    flybarnie.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 71
Wendy superb sketches and Peter up to your usual high standard, love the light
Mike kessy is suprbly done and looking forward to seeing the barny in alarger version

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back