• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eagle Optics To Close (1 Viewer)

Chuffin' Norah! = Yorkshire Exclamation.

Didn't see this coming and what a loss to the sports optics trade in the States.

Great company with a great reputation. Shame. RIP.

Lee

Really unexpected! I have bought several binoculars from EO and never had any doubt that EO was one of the very best sport optics retailers in the States. Vortex has moved production to China and now EO is closing down---what's going on?

Damn shame for sure!:-C:-C

I purchased many binoculars from them over the years and their prices and service were excellent!

Bob

Last edited:
All I get is a redirect when I click on the links. I am assuming that means that they are no longer in business.

I had the same problem with the links so I went to their homepage and it had a message saying that they were going out of business as of 12/31/2017.

End of an era. I have been doing business with them for over 25 years. They always featured helpful well informed staff and a generous return policy

From the site:

Dear Eagle Optics Customers and Partners,

Eagle Optics has been a sport optics retailer for over 30 years, and has evolved through many big changes. Whether these changes have been in the birding community, in sport optics design, or in the overall marketplace, Eagle Optics has always approached these changes with the customers’ best interest first in mind. In recent years though, it has become ever more challenging to run a specialized sport optics business in the online landscape.

With that in mind, the Eagle Optics owners and staff have decided to cease all business operations on Dec 31, 2017. As always, Eagle Optics recognizes that without our customers and partners, we could not have been successful in our support of the birding community and bird conservation these many years.
We want to thank you and are eternally grateful for the relationships, partnerships, and community we have built together.

As part of ceasing business operations, we are offering exciting sales opportunities. Please visit www.eagleoptics.com for these sales, or call us at 1-800-289-1132. We also understand that you may have questions about this change, and we invite you to visit our information page here for more details or to call us at 1-800-289-1132.

Bird On!

Kate Fitzmier

Eagle Optics Sales Manager

(800) 289-1132

(608) 662-1060

Just ordered a cool spotting scope. :)

Last edited:
At least for a time, Dan Hamilton owned Eagle AND Vortex. Does that mean Vortex is closing, too!?

Bill

On their Facebook page, EO is referring people to Vortex for warranty issues, etc. and calling them their sister company so it seems like to two are still closely linked.

Vortex is here to stay. They are concerned that the link above is being bounced by Birdforum to an interstitial page.

AFAIK Birdforum has some kind of agreement that it will send commercial links to an intermediary site that offers other links (this happens not only with EO butwith BH Photo, Optics Planet etc):

“Why am I seeing this site?

The page you were visiting helps find the best deals and products by connecting to VigLink Shopping. This site suggests similar retailers who may sell the same products at a better price. By making it easy to continue to the link you clicked on or browse related merchants, this site gives you more freedom to purchase from the retailer of your choice.

To learn more about how VigLink connects consumers to products, visit www.viglink.com. “

This is not my doing – it is Birdforum.net.

Apologies for any inconvenience and it was certainly not my intention to divert business away from our friends at EO.

Cheers, Pete

Hi,

yes, this Viglink stuff is most annoying, at least now they are having well hidden link to the target site if you read the page... when they introduced this, there was none...
It would be great if this could be abolished - just have a banner every 5 posts or so instead if you have to...

Regarding EO - sad to hear they close shop - over in Zeiss country we lost a very well regarded optics store and mail order too, although a bit more sudden due to the tragic death of the owner, an avid birder, at 46...

Joachim

yes, this Viglink stuff is most annoying...It would be great if this could be abolished...

I don't get sent to Viglink. I run uBlock Origin in my browser (Chrome), so maybe that is why. I recommend everyone give it a try. Life online is better with a good ad blocker.

--AP

All the good stuff is already sold out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not even close...

STILL AVAILABLE:
SV 8.5X42, 8X32, 10X50, 12X50, CL 8X30
Leica UV HD Plus 8X32, 7X42, 8X42, 10X42
Noctivid 8X42 and 10X42
Zeiss Conquest HD 8X32. 8X42, and 10X42
Zeiss SF 10X42
Zeiss HT 8x42 and 10x42
Several Opticron models
Several Meopta models

OTHERS as well!

This is sad news. Whenever a choice is removed, the consumer loses. We all should probably support the independent optics stores more. It's not going to be pretty when they are gone and all we have is Amazon. See healthcare....

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back