• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are those that noted disappearance of birds seeing a return? (1 Viewer)

I am one of many in various states of the US who saw a huge decline, if not near complete disappearance, of yard/feeder birds from late August on. Over the last few days I’ve begun an informal documentation of any species I happen to see flitting around the yard or stopping by the feeders with the hope that I will soon start to see more and more birds returning. I’d be curious to know how other birdwatchers are faring as we move into the winter months.

Since Friday, my largest numbers of returning birds are about 30 Sparrows, a dozen Mourning Doves, followed by roughly 6-8 Downy and Hairy Woodpeckers each, half a dozen Chickadees, and a few each of Tufted Titmouse, Nuthatch and Blue Jays. These numbers are tremendously low compared to what I’ve had in years past.

I’ve seen absolutely no Cardinals, Pine Siskins, Chipping or White Throated Sparrows; and only a sighting or two several weeks ago of an American Goldfinch, House Finch and Dark-eyed Junco. Again, so abnormal compared to what I usually have!

I was very surprised to see an Eastern Bluebird last week in our wild grapevines, as I haven’t seen one since about mid summer. They usually love partaking from the peanut butter in my suet log in addition to their bug, fruit and berry diet. That was not the case this summer, or even now when they would flocking at my suet for bits of tasty treats.

Attachments

• 15AF8BB5-E0A1-40BB-8910-010AB03BE586.jpeg
    15AF8BB5-E0A1-40BB-8910-010AB03BE586.jpeg
    202.7 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
I have noticed the past couple of weeks that activity is picking up a little in my garden. I actually have some House Finches again sitting on the feeders again thru out the day. Nothing like it was before though. I've noticed the colder it gets up north, the birds seem to be showing up more. We have a big cold front coming thru tonight so I'm hoping we will have more tomorrow.

We are getting awfully close to a year since we have had a freeze here in the Dallas, Texas area. Normally by now we've had several. I think once we actually have a freeze, the birds will return here. At least I hope so, but for now the feeders arent seeing much activity at all.

Today is going to be between 78-80 degrees, again.

I have noticed the past couple of weeks that activity is picking up a little in my garden. I actually have some House Finches again sitting on the feeders again thru out the day. Nothing like it was before though. I've noticed the colder it gets up north, the birds seem to be showing up more.

Since my original post, I’ve spotted a few various species of birds at the feeders, but only ever 1 or 2 from each species. Nothing like the numbers I’ve had in years past! Just was told by someone in SE Michigan that they’re experiencing the same lack of birds as well. Very puzzling! Makes you wonder what the birds may be sensing that we’re not seeing....

We just had our first freezes of the season, with a record of 333 days since the last hard freeze in Dallas, Texas. Since then the birds are really starting to show up again. Most colder days below 60 degrees F, I have a steady flow of birds in the morning hours, all the way up to about 1 or 2pm. Then it slacks off dramatically to almost nothing. I get a few more later before sunset, but not a lot. I've had to refill the feeders, but I'm only putting half, and then it lasts for maybe 10 days. Suet is still really popular, with their favorites being mealworm or orange flavored. The peanut delight still is eaten, just not as fast. They've abandoned the berry suet totally. I'll have to toss it soon, but the squirrels and the rabbits will eat it.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back