• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tayforth Birding (1 Viewer)

Joseph, they were all in smaller groups in one area (in a few different treetops), then they split up over a wider area, but our group as a whole were watching all the birds simultaneously (though at least one large-ish group of 20+ was pretty much constantly on the move, making a wholly accurate count tricky).

Vast amounts of Mute and Whooper Swans plus huge flock of geese (can't identify them from a fast moving car) on the floodwater at Meigle again.

Joseph, they were all in smaller groups in one area (in a few different treetops), then they split up over a wider area, but our group as a whole were watching all the birds simultaneously (though at least one large-ish group of 20+ was pretty much constantly on the move, making a wholly accurate count tricky).

That sounds brilliant, Scone really does host really does host a fantastic phenomenon in its wintering Hawfinches. Well done again :t:.

Joseph

Spot of out-of-season seawatching at Fife Ness around lunchtime today. Highlights were a Red Necked Grebe, 7 Red Throated Divers, 2 Common Scoters, a Long Tailed Duck plus Kittiwakes, Fulmars, Razorbills, Guillemots, Gannets, and 4 species of gull. Also Eiders, Cormorants, Shags plus Oystercatchers and Curlew. A Peregrine was seen as we opened the shutters in the hide.

A wee run around some of Angus with a friend in less than favourable conditions produced a few nice birds (and a further 4 for my 2011 list). While waiting for my pal to show up I spotted a Sparrowhawk overhead.

First stop when we got going was Hatton to try and get Tree Sparrow. None around but we did get a small flock of yellowhammers instead.

Then on to a rather blustery and rather chilly Elliot reedbeds to hopefully find Jack Snipe. Managed to see a few Stonechats (new for the year) and a single Common Snipe.

Tried for the Corn Buntings at Boghead Farm, but none were around though we did get Tree Sparrow and Yellowhammers. Tree Sparrow the second new bird of the day.

Headed to Montrose Basin, where there were a lot of finches and tits around, as well as quite a lot of birds in the basin itself. Added Pintail and Greenshank for the year. Missed out on Scaup. Tree Sparrow, Pheasant, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Long Tailed Tit, Grey Heron, Eider, Cormorant and lots of others around.

Last stop of the day was Montreathmont Forest. Plenty of Great Spotted Woodpeckers around (no Green though). Mixed flocks of tits (great, Blue and Coal), and 30 or so Siskins.

An enjoyable day out in grey conditions with 55 species seen.

Visited Linlithgow Loch on Friday evening. In amongst all the usual suspects at the car park (coot, tufted duck, mallard, mute swan, black head gulls and jackdaw) was a lone shelduck. It was doing battle with the gulls to scavenge for chips that some lads were throwing from their car. It then flew off into the middle of the loch. Whilst shelduck are very common on the Forth nearby, I have never seen one at an inland loch, alone as opposed to a pair, and definitley not eating chips!
Also heard the years first singing skylark around Kinghorn today.

Forthbirder, that Shelduck (I presume the same bird) was there last winter too, saw her when I went to see the Smew. She appears to be a 'local'.

Attachments

• 4282634747_b88ce4cb05_z.jpg
    4282634747_b88ce4cb05_z.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 62
Well of course they'd want chips to go with the fish!!:-O

Excellent action shot Stonefaction.

D

Just got back from the annual pilgrimage to Scone for the Haws...managed to get around 30+ birds, thats my biggest total.

At first I was only getting 3's and 4's doing the usual tree hopping capper, then managed to count 10 in one tree. After about 30 minutes of severe grilling at medium distance I decided to try for a photo....as I returned to the spot were the grilling had take place, 5 birds lifted followed by a further 7 flying towards the palace, then from some trees just out of view a large flock of 18 took flight and flew over head to join the rest!

6 birds returned to the original tree were upon I managed some VERY poor record shots, even though they are pretty crap images (and bare in mind the weather conditions - very grey and overcast!!) I'm quite pleased.....they are not the easiest species to photograph!! B :)

Attachments

• 3-3-11 haws 008 (Large).jpg
    3-3-11 haws 008 (Large).jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 3-3-11 haws 010 (Large).jpg
    3-3-11 haws 010 (Large).jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 67
I'd love to go see the Hawfinches, but I'm a really distracted kind of Birdwatcher who would get bored.

how could you get bored Rhummy, what kind of birdwatching do you go for??

I recommend you get yer distracted ass along to scone and get some Hawfinch action in yer life, there's nothing boring about that!! :t:

DO IT! You know you want to....

I have an unbelievably distracted kind of person. Attention span of a gnat.

I'm a lets go to a nice place and look around and if birds appear then cool kind of birdwatcher.

I'm a geographer - so I spend a lot of time working outside - birdwatching is just an added extra while i'm doing it.

the femle mute on stobbie ponds in dundee has been sitting on a nest for a couple of days,i cant remember it nesting this early

i had a male pintail at morton loch today ,first time i have seen one here,1 gadwall/tufted ducks/wigeon/teals/mutes/mallard/liitle grebe were swimming about buzzard/gs woodpecker/robin/carrion crow/blackbird chaffinch in the trees,there is a feeder at the rail hide now giving great views of the 4 common tits plus wren/chaffinch robins

Had my first singing Skylark of the year today, on the way up Ben Cleuch - spring is definitely here (although you wouldn't know it from the foot deep snow at the top!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back