Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Find out what Zeiss have planned at Birdfair 2017

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 28 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Tuesday 21st March 2017, 01:03   #201
Theo98
Eurasian Goldfinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
Ted,

OK now if we ever meet somewhere between Oregon and Louisiana we can high five and shake hands on equal terms of hand size

I wondered only because I thought the overall feel of the SV 10x50 was sort of ...well, chubby.

We stand in agreement on those facets of that binocular that matter .
Steve,

Yep, I don't know of any 50mm that aren't, err...Chubby!

Heck yea, I10 's between Or. and La. huh, My Treat at the Gator Cove (Great Boiled Crawfish)!!

BTW, Brendon says !

Ted
Old Tuesday 21st March 2017, 10:36   #202
Patudo

Theo, Cycleguy... thanks for the highly informative comparisons. I'm really impressed just how much value Kamakura's best (to date) can deliver. 95%+ of performance at a third the price is a formidable proposition.

The choice of 9x also places the B2 in an interesting area of the market away from the crowded 8x and 10x segments (the 8.5x42 SV would seem like the "alpha" glass most closely comparable). It'll be most interesting if say Opticron incorporates these into their product line as they appear to have done with the Tract 8x42.
Old Wednesday 22nd March 2017, 23:57   #203
Theo98
Eurasian Goldfinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patudo View Post
Theo, Cycleguy... thanks for the highly informative comparisons. I'm really impressed just how much value Kamakura's best (to date) can deliver. 95%+ of performance at a third the price is a formidable proposition.

The choice of 9x also places the B2 in an interesting area of the market away from the crowded 8x and 10x segments (the 8.5x42 SV would seem like the "alpha" glass most closely comparable). It'll be most interesting if say Opticron incorporates these into their product line as they appear to have done with the Tract 8x42.
Patudo,

You're welcome, but remember my statement is just IMHO, as others might call it differently! Undoubtedly, Maven's direct-to-consumer marketing concept helps keep their prices where they are. Brendon confirmed if they were to move their product line to the retail B&M stores, consumers would see double the current direct order pricing. Keep in mind then a B2 investment would be much closer to the top Alpha prices!

Ted
Old Thursday 23rd March 2017, 00:06   #204
NDhunter

Ted:

If Maven doubled the price, they would not be in business.
Do you know about the Brunton model, it failed.

After using a Tract Toric, I am impressed, and the price is a fraction
of the Maven. Both are made by the same mfr. similar specs.

So, a different price model, I like that better.

Jerry

Last edited by NDhunter : Thursday 23rd March 2017 at 00:09.
Old Thursday 23rd March 2017, 00:30   #205
Racuuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo98 View Post
Patudo,

You're welcome, but remember my statement is just IMHO, as others might call it differently! Undoubtedly, Maven's direct-to-consumer marketing concept helps keep their prices where they are. Brendon confirmed if they were to move their product line to the retail B&M stores, consumers would see double the current direct order pricing. Keep in mind then a B2 investment would be much closer to the top Alpha prices!

Ted

Not sure about that. Just look att the sig sauer Zulu 9 binoculars ( same as the maven b2). They are sold by a number of retailers and ive seen them sold in different stores for about the same price as the maven b2. Its just a selling argument.
Old Thursday 23rd March 2017, 00:31   #206
Theo98
Eurasian Goldfinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDhunter View Post
Ted:

If Maven doubled the price, they would not be in business...

Jerry
Yes, and if Tract abandoned direct-to-consumer business model offerings and doubled Their prices to start selling through the retail market, they also might not be competitive. I've no experience comparing these two Kamakura made brand models (other than listed specs), just stated a reason why Maven (and yes Tract) makes such an attractive optical product!

Ted
Old Thursday 23rd March 2017, 04:48   #207
cycleguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo98 View Post
CG,

Thanks for your experienced thoughts (which is stirring me to retract my initial B3 FOV comments).

With my very short time using the B3 and too much "copy\paste" activity in my review, I didn't accurately state my FOV findings in post 194. The B3 has about a 75% in-focus sweet spot, with a gradual roll off to the edge in sharpness. Although it is rated with 10ft more FOV than the EL, in reality it feels like it is almost 100ft less. As you said, I still find that very usable but prefer the full edge expansive sharpness in the EL 8X32, as my peripheral vision is excellent!

The B3 is the smallest compact 30\32ish pair I have used or glassed with and is comfortable to hold and has a very solid feel to it. Braden confirmed that this was one of his goals in producing the B3 as the "pocket" market is low demand, thus he said they probably won't produce a model in that 25mm size. However, the diminutive B3 seems to fill that niche well!

Ted
Ted,

This is what i like about this forum... different users have different impressions about the same glass... and it is nice to hear what others have to say about their experiences. (Well, except for that one guy who claims "best glass ever" for whatever he happens to be trying out).

For me, I see the center sharpness fall off of the B3 starting at about 50-55% out from center and it is definitely noticeable at 75%. It would be interesting to hear what other B3 users are experiencing.

I still find it a wonderful and favorite glass and I'll give a double thumbs up for comfortable to hold and solid feel.

I'm finding myself much enamored with the x30 size. So much so I see my interest in x32 binoculars diminishing. And I'm on board with not having much interest in x25 or x20 glass.

If this glass was 2x its current price; I'd probably not be interested, and is where the Swaro CL resides.

CG
Old Friday 24th March 2017, 02:08   #208
Theo98
Eurasian Goldfinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy View Post
If this glass was 2x its current price; I'd probably not be interested, and is where the Swaro CL resides.

CG
Yes, and also a used in-great-condition SLC!

Ted
Old Wednesday 29th March 2017, 14:35   #209
PeteQuad

Well I just ordered a demo unit of the B3. I was going to wait until my birthday in June but since I am bringing my wife and family on a birding trip next month I got it under the guise of getting her something decent to use .

Last edited by PeteQuad : Wednesday 29th March 2017 at 14:43.
Old Tuesday 18th April 2017, 21:40   #210
santacruz

Steve, thanks for the fine write up. A demo unit arrived yesterday and I'll be trying it out. Thanks to the rest of you who have commented and helped with pushing me over the edge to try something better. I had a Vortex Viper HD in 12x50 and it was good but it left me wanting to try better. I fear I may have gotten the bug!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: