Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Find out what Zeiss have planned at Birdfair 2017

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Friday 13th January 2017, 17:25   #26
Maffong

A HUGE thank you for the great work, l_raty!

A few comments:
Yellow-billed Egret: HBW cites observations in
Quote:
Qatar, United Arab Emirates, Prince Edward Is (Mar 2003), Bhutan, Mortlock Is and Midway Atoll (Hawaii)
, but not to any WP country. Yet.

Sequence: There are in fact several concerns with this and the netfugl list. I#ve also noted it for Mergellus albellus between Mergus and
Melospiza between Zonotrichia. Probably more than that

Branta hutchinsii minima should be Cat C in the Netherlands

Netfugl has White-eared Bulbul P leucotis on its list, while AERC lists P leucogenys. I guess this is the result of splitting. Could somebody give me more details about this?

Here is the revised checklist. I've included all new sspp that have been acepted by at least one authority named by you

Maffong
Attached Files
File Type: xls Bird taxa of the WP.xls (626.0 KB, 30 views)
Old Friday 13th January 2017, 17:41   #27
njlarsen
Opus Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maffong View Post

Netfugl has White-eared Bulbul P leucotis on its list, while AERC lists P leucogenys. I guess this is the result of splitting. Could somebody give me more details about this?
Maffong
Read the taxonomy section of these two opus pages:
http://www.birdforum.net/opus/White-eared_Bulbul
http://www.birdforum.net/opus/Himalayan_Bulbul

Niels

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 13th January 2017, 19:01   #28
l_raty
laurent raty

Quote:
Branta hutchinsii minima should be Cat C in the Netherlands
OK. It didn't use to be there, but it is now indeed -- or so it seems.

(What is "Cat C" in the Netherlands has always been disputable as there is no official Cat C on the Dutch list. What is generally understood as playing that role [in the context of WP listing and so far as I understand] is the list of established taxa appearing in the Lijst van Nederlandse vogelsoorten maintained by Arnoud van den Berg, to the exclusion of Phoenicopherus chilensis which is on this list but doesn't count because it breeds in Germany and is not treated as Cat C there. The list is usually available from [here] but, for some reason, not right now -- clicking the link yields a 404 error; however, the version of 1 May 2016 [here] does indeed include minima.)

Laurent -
Old Sunday 15th January 2017, 10:12   #29
Brian J Small

Common (sorry Mew|) Gull subsp - see http://kerrybirding.blogspot.co.uk/2...ial-first.html

B
Old Sunday 15th January 2017, 10:22   #30
Brian J Small

American Barn Swallow - erythrogaster -Iceland -
https://notendur.hi.is/yannk/myndir/...us121011_1.jpg
https://notendur.hi.is/yannk/myndir/...rrus121012.jpg

B
Old Sunday 15th January 2017, 12:28   #31
Mike Earp

In light of this thread, it will be interesting to see how complete Dominic Mitchell's forthcoming checklist Birds of Europe, North Africa and the Middle East: An Annotated Checklist is.

Mike
Old Sunday 15th January 2017, 14:05   #32
Brian J Small

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Earp View Post
In light of this thread, it will be interesting to see how complete Dominic Mitchell's forthcoming checklist Birds of Europe, North Africa and the Middle East: An Annotated Checklist is.

Mike
As a starting point - https://www.birdwatch.co.uk/userfile...ist%20v1_1.pdf

B
Old Sunday 2nd April 2017, 12:23   #33
Maffong

Here's a completely revised list, now following IOC taxonomy and nomenclature, including information for all extreme vagrants, introduced species and a "regions" section for all regulars.

I've deleted a few species that apparently have not been recorded in the WP so far: Siberian Nuthatch, White-crowned Penduline-tit, Variable Wheatear, Sakhalin Grasshopper Warbler
I also added a few new species, mainly category C, such as Muscovy Duck

The subspecies section has yet to be revised and be aligned with IOC

A few questions about some species:
Are there still extant populations of Red-billed Firefinch and Erckel's Francolin? How much longer until the Nanday Parakeets on Tenerife and in Barcelona are category C?

Maffong
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx Bird taxa of the WP.xlsx (320.5 KB, 69 views)
Old Sunday 2nd April 2017, 17:36   #34
Lukasz L

WP division into regions is a very original, eg. Britain and Ireland in Central Europe;-) What were the criteria of these borders and their purpose?

Lukasz
Old Sunday 2nd April 2017, 17:45   #35
cajanuma

Quote:
Are there still extant populations of Red-billed Firefinch and Erckel's Francolin?
Not for Erckel's Francolin, it appears to be gone from the island of Zannone
Old Sunday 2nd April 2017, 17:51   #36
Nutcracker
Northumbrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukasz L View Post
WP division into regions is a very original, eg. Britain and Ireland in Central Europe;-) What were the criteria of these borders and their purpose?
A secret weapon to help defeat brexit?
Old Tuesday 4th April 2017, 13:06   #37
Maffong

Damn, the whole answer was there and I managed to erase it.

New try:
Thanks for the info, cajanuma. Do you know by when the Francolins went extinct?

The intent of the regions part was to create a coding system similar to that used by the ABA for listing purposes, such as the current WP Big Year. Paul Chapman suggested an approach by assessing how difficult a certain species is to get within WP borders. His approach is found in hidden column C.
My approach was to assess the occurrence of a species in the WP. The results are similar, but not even close to identical. I felt my approach was closer to the ABA approach and easier to be objective. For this I created the 9 regions described on page 2 of the spreadsheet.
Britains avifauna differs very little from other central european, e.g. germany, so I pooled them. I tried to find homogenous regions (in respect to the avifauna), that differ strongly enough from other regions. The criteria for this however could still be improved, if you have any suggestions.

Maffong
Old Tuesday 4th April 2017, 13:13   #38
cajanuma

[quote=Maffong;3547146
New try:
Thanks for the info, cajanuma. Do you know by when the Francolins went extinct?

[/QUOTE]

The island they were on is uninhabited and hard to access, but until a few years ago ringers were spending several weeks on it each spring. I think somewhere around 2010 the population dropped rapidly and I don't think they were being seen/heard anymore after maybe 2012-13 or so. It's not out of the question that 1-2 birds are still hanging on, but there certainly does not appear to be any viable population.
Old Tuesday 4th April 2017, 15:59   #39
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

Quote:
I've deleted a few species that apparently have not been recorded in the WP so far: Siberian Nuthatch, ...
What! I got a bit worried there ... but only for a while (due to the lack of Scientific names, in the sentence quoted above) ...

Note that the subspecies Sitta europaea asiatica is frequently observed, several times in (Northern) Sweden, examples here (and Northern Sweden, as well as ditto Finland, is hard to include in the Range: "Eastern European Russia to east Siberia").

In Sweden we call this subspecies sibirisk nötväcka (meaning Siberian Nuthatch!). The Siberian Nuthatch Sitta arctica is jakutisk nötväcka in Swedish (that, in English, would be "Yakutian -" or Sakhan Nuthatch") ...

Why make things easy!?
Old Tuesday 4th April 2017, 16:41   #40
magifrig

Hi Maffong

Variable Wheatear is on the Kuwait list (two recent records).

Red-billed Firefinches are apparently common in Djanet in southern Algeria.

Cheers, Graeme Joynt

Last edited by magifrig : Tuesday 4th April 2017 at 16:46. Reason: typo
Old Tuesday 4th April 2017, 18:12   #41
Maffong

Quote:
Originally Posted by magifrig View Post
Hi Maffong

Variable Wheatear is on the Kuwait list (two recent records).

Red-billed Firefinches are apparently common in Djanet in southern Algeria.

Cheers, Graeme Joynt
You're right, I just found these pictures from 2015, so I guess the population is still viable there

I also fixed the Variable Wheatear error. I just knew about the israeli record that has been revoked as a warriae Mourning Wheatear
Old Wednesday 5th April 2017, 04:20   #42
Acanthis
Finchnut

Can't read your list file on this the work's pc Maffong so not sure if Crithagra rothschildi (Arabian or Olive-rumped Serin) is on your list.

Tabuk in northern Saudi Arabia should be within WP boundaries.
EBird has C. rothschildi resident near Tabuk. 15 recorded on Jan 5th last year. See http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S26690590
Latest Fringillid: Citril Finch
Old Wednesday 5th April 2017, 04:32   #43
Acanthis
Finchnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acanthis View Post
Can't read your list file on this the work's pc Maffong so not sure if Crithagra rothschildi (Arabian or Olive-rumped Serin) is on your list.

Tabuk in northern Saudi Arabia should be within WP boundaries.
EBird has C. rothschildi resident near Tabuk. 15 recorded on Jan 5th last year. See http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S26690590
Actually the site Al-Disah, seems to be quite a few kilometres south of Tabuk, so perhaps just outside the WP boundary.
I'm not sure where the line is drawn.
Latest Fringillid: Citril Finch
Old Saturday 8th April 2017, 10:53   #44
Maffong

Tabuk would be inside WP boundaries, however the sighting you cited is a few dozen kilometers outside.

Does anybody know about the status of Black-headed Penduline Tit in the WP? The AERC file I used originally says that it can be found extreme southeatern Azerbaijan, however all range maps I have found only show it in nearby Iran. Does it wander around, thus reaching Azerbaijan? Or was it formerly breeding there?

And is the population of Red-billed Firefinch in Algeria really introduced there? It occurs pretty close nearby in Niger and Mali

Maffong
Old Saturday 8th April 2017, 15:54   #45
John Cantelo

I have nothing substantive to add other than my admiration and thanks for your Herculean effort in putting this together. The amount of time and effort required must have been very considerable. I wish more in the birding community were so selfless and generous.

Please support Andalucia Bird Society www.andalusiabirdsociety.org Visit my website & blog on birding in SW Spain at http://birdingcadizprovince.weebly.com/
Old Saturday 8th April 2017, 19:45   #46
magifrig

Hi Maffong

The thread below covers a lot of WP listing matters, including Black-headed Penduline Tit, which should not be on the list. Worth reading the whole thread given your interest in the WP ��

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=274336

Cheers, Graeme Joynt
Old Friday 21st April 2017, 17:47   #47
Acrocephalus

Red-billed Firefinch in Algeria

Quote:
And is the population of Red-billed Firefinch in Algeria really introduced there? It occurs pretty close nearby in Niger and Mali
The answer to that question plus the status of the species at the known sites in Algeria (2 historical regions and 2 new ones).
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: