• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"Gray" Market (1 Viewer)

I received an interesting e-mail today from Canon USA with a link to "an important announcement" regarding Gray Market poducts. The announcement was really nothing new, but I wonder if Canon is experiencing a higher number of "parallel market" products being sold in the US this holiday season.

http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/...&RID=1-KPT8M6&CON=1-9ON-435&PRO=&CID=1-KIOPSB

What they really mean, of course, is " we run a closed shop in high price countries; this allows us to maintain higher profits in these countries. The only loser is you, our valued mug - sorry, I mean, valued cash cow - sorry, valued customer. Oh, for heaven sake! just keep buying our, incrementally updated, overpriced kit and stop whining!"

Spot on Egret although a grey import is made in the same factory carrying the same name its sold at different prices depending on country of origin. So UK repair centers dont want anything to do with imported products.

I received an interesting e-mail today from Canon USA with a link to "an important announcement" regarding Gray Market poducts. The announcement was really nothing new, but I wonder if Canon is experiencing a higher number of "parallel market" products being sold in the US this holiday season.

http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/...&RID=1-KPT8M6&CON=1-9ON-435&PRO=&CID=1-KIOPSB

The slump in digital camera sales is hurting all of the optics makers involved, so not surprising that they would be seeking to plug any profit leaks they can. This letter just tries to spread a little FUD to discourage gray market sales, which do come at the expense of the local distribution network.

Gray market sales were killing BH & Adorama due to unmatched low prices, which ironically is what BH & Adorama have done to local brick and mortar stores.

Canon has been very liberal with servicing gray market goods. many people have been told, just give us a receipt and it will be covered for 1 year.

Spot on Egret although a grey import is made in the same factory carrying the same name its sold at different prices depending on country of origin. So UK repair centers dont want anything to do with imported products.

That's inaccurate Paul. I was with someone yesterday who bought from Hdew and wasn't happy with the performance. Hdew arranged for it to be sent to an authorised dealer for repair and when the new owner still wasn't happy with the results gave a full refund.
All my grey imports have been accepted for Canon's CPS service which guarantees a very quick repair service or the loan of equipment if they can't repair within the time promised.

I hate those market-devising strategies. One (non-camera) example: we have an electric toothbrush bought in Europe. There is a seemingly identical one sold in the US, but brushes bought one place cannot be used with the equipment bought the other. They have included a little notch that is shaped differently for the two markets.

Niels

Hdew

Those who have been following the 7D2 thread might have seen that I decided the camera was not for me after having taken around 180 shots.
Possibly too few to make a sound judgement but as it's not the cheapest body around I had to make a decision quickly and without too many actuations.
After speaking to Hdew :t::t: from where I purchased it they suggested I send it back to them to take a look at.As the camera is , not surprisingly , "as new" they have given me a full refund even though the camera is now selling at £100 cheaper than when I ordered it.

I have spent a fair amount of money with them in the past so having a customer record might have helped however, for me, that's a huge relief and I can only speak even more highly of Hdew :t::t: as a company who's service has always been 100% superb.

With the huge variations in price it's hardly surprising that we, the customer, shop around for good deals. Very often if a deal is too good to be true it should be a red alert so it's handy to know who can and can't be trusted.

Hdew :t::t: do sell "grey imports" but they come with a better three year warranty than from "recognised " dealers who only offer two.

As for after service, you have no need to worry, they will be repaired by Canon service centres and not only that, as I have the necessary equipment to qualify, the purchases are recognised for Canon's CPS service too.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back