• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upgrade from 50D to 7D MK II? (1 Viewer)

Goldshot

Since becoming serious about photographing birds, I like the thought of using a better camera. After all, my 50D is just about 6 years old so it must be obsolete. I really want the 7D Mk II! Comparing features and specs, an upgrade seems to be a no brainer. From a practical point of view the 7D Mk II offers much improved auto focus, a better noise floor without the objectionable low frequency bands when shooting in low light and it has better resolution.

From your experience, do these advantages justify the expense of the more expensive camera?

Last edited:
Unless you want to go full frame then I would go for the 7D2, it will be a very nice upgrade from your 50D as Rob has said.

Whether or not I see an improvement in the average photo with a new 7D Mk II, I will start shopping for one. I could do without its video functions, but the better s/n and autofocus are a big benefit. The 7D Mk II performance seems to make it considerably more future proof than the 50D.

I recently moved from 50D to 7D2 and have no regrets. The two most immediately noticeable things were much better autofocus -- faster and more precise -- and better low light. I would hesitate to take the 50d beyond iso800 and have taken passable pics at iso3200 with the 7D2. It is still not as good as full frame (5d3, eg) if it's the low light that's most important. Video on the 7d2 I have not got my head around. I find it annoying that you have to be in live-view if you want to shoot video (it's an inevitable consequence of having a mirror there for stills) and the mic seems to pick up lots of autofocus and stabilisation murmuring. You can take stills during video, which is nice, but the video itself freezes while the stills are happening (not so nice).

Well, I bought the 7D Mk II and will be using it with my 70-300 DO. Is there an extender that will allow full function of this lens? From what I've read, that functionality is only available with some of the more expensive lenses.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back